BMI, an unreachable target ?

Options
2»

Replies

• genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I thought I had "large frame". Turns out my wrists were fat, too.

Even my wedding rings are going to have to be resized.

I am not sure of my goal weight- I figure I will know when I get there. I've never been that small, so I don't know what my body is capable of.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I had a large frame by all measurements at my highest weight. I'm now the lightest I've ever been as an adult, and within the healthy BMI, and I still have a large frame. My wrist has gotten a little smaller... Less than 0.5 inches after a 110 lb weight loss.

My feet got narrower, but not much (went from C width on 10.5 shoes to the border of A). The length did not change.

Just thought I'd put this out there because the frame size dilemma is not universal. And while I achieved a healthy weight, I don't think it's necessary for everyone with a similar frame to reach this level to be healthy or happy. Without a significant and compelling reason to continue, I probably could have lived my life perfectly well with an additional 15-25 lbs.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It feels like Normal range BMI is too low for me as well, but then I recall what I weighed in college when I was also in sports and must have had more muscle yet was still well within the healthy range.

My current goal is to get within 10lbs of my 'normal' BMI range.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well BMI charts are only for the average population, bodybuilders and people with larger than average frames can show as overweight when they are actually at a healthy weight. I know a guy that has a very large frame for his height and lots of muscle, there's no way he would be healthy at his BMI chart "ideal" weight.

And the group you describe as not fitting is probably 10% or less of the population.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    It's like to add that you shouldn't worry about a 25 Bmi right now. Focus on getting under 30 (to overweight) and improving your overall physical fitness and your nutrition. As you get lighter, you'll get a much clearer idea of where you want to be and what you're willing to do to get there.