Thoughts on tuna?

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Iv been eating a can of tuna a day and i feel like i could keep it up forever even though i dont really like tuna the way i make it makes me feel very satisfied. I mix it with a soup mix as a sauce and put it on top of potatoes half a can over 2 meals a day.

Though i hear to much tuna could be bad for you? Am i eating to much? I needed the low calorie protein. Thoughts please

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I mean, you really shouldn't be eating too too much because of the mercury. But I think it depends on what kind of tuna you are getting as well. (Can someone speak on this?)

I did it for a long time. Too much. I don't think I'll ever eat it again.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i hear that too. mercury and over-fishing are things that i would really really like to be more aware and responsible about, but i've always been a big fan of tuna. even when i was little and kids would make fun of tuna sandwiches in my lunch, idgaf. the only meat i eat is seafood and tuna is a great, cheap and easy source of protein, so i'm not being super diligent in research on health or sustainability.

200.gif#8

sorry that doesn't answer your question, just commiserating i guess.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Yes, I like the Wild Planet tuna as well
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I love tuna but because of the whole mercury mess, the doctor said to keep it to twice a week. :(
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are eating canned light tuna vs. albacore/white tuna, you should be fine. Here is a link to read more about it

hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/chem-chim/environ/mercur/cons-adv-etud-eng.php
  • bbell1985
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I love tuna but because of the whole mercury mess, the doctor said to keep it to twice a week. :(

I was actually interested in what docs are saying about consumption. Wonder if that is a general guideline as well.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The tuna I buy is line caught Albacore which is 1) a more sustainable fishing practice; 2) they're smaller tuna so less mercury. This is what I get...

I also use canned wild Alaskan salmon which is a very low mercury fish.

Thanks...will definitely be on the lookout for these. If memory serves, you do a lot of your grocery shopping at Costco. Is that where you find these?

Also, just throwing this out there: On a lark, I made a tuna and bacon sandwich for dinner last night. It sounds like a weird flavor combo on paper, but it was awesome. I added some fontina cheese which also worked, but in retrospect the sandwich would've been better w/ a couple slices of tomato. I also imagine it would work really well as a tuna melt. :)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Regarding mercury, here's a link y'all might find interesting. Caveat: I haven't read through all of this yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253456/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The tuna I buy is line caught Albacore which is 1) a more sustainable fishing practice; 2) they're smaller tuna so less mercury. This is what I get...

Thanks...will definitely be on the lookout for these. If memory serves, you do a lot of your grocery shopping at Costco. Is that where you find these?

Also, just throwing this out there: On a lark, I made a tuna and bacon sandwich for dinner last night. It sounds like a weird flavor combo on paper, but it was awesome. I added some fontina cheese which also worked, but in retrospect the sandwich would've been better w/ a couple slices of tomato. I also imagine it would work really well as a tuna melt. :)

Yup...Costco...
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Regarding mercury, here's a link y'all might find interesting. Caveat: I haven't read through all of this yet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3253456/

thanks for this!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are eating canned light tuna vs. albacore/white tuna, you should be fine. Here is a link to read more about it

hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/chem-chim/environ/mercur/cons-adv-etud-eng.php

yes i eat canned light tuna thats great im a little less worried now. Maybe ill start taking a few days off anyway to be safe, Switch it with some kolbassa or something. Yum.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

mmmmm tuna melt....and bacon......This threads ironically going to make me eat more tuna LOL
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Ermahgerd. If I were pregnant I would probably avoid it entirely. I'm sterile, though. Still, mercury poisoning isn't appealing at ALL. *cries* MUH TUNA.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.

Thoughts on tuna always end up with me thinking about sashimi.

Now I'm hungry. But had it twice this week already, so I'll stick to the lunch I brought.
  • _BrewingAZ_
    _BrewingAZ_ Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thoughts on tuna... huh... I never really put much thought into it. I guess I have none. Oh! It's a lean source of protein :)
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So many dolphins trapped (and killed) in tuna nets (there is no such thing as dolphin friendly tuna). I just have an issue with that. I stopped eating tuna a few years ago. I use chicken and turkey as my lean proteins.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1-2 pouches of starkist light tuna a week just for the protien/low calories ratio. I'm not sure of the mercery. Though @sardelsa post might give me a couple more winks of sleep over the rest of my life.