Biking or Walking............?

Options
I'm all over the place when it comes to sticking with a weekly exercise regiment. I love cycling more than walking but I realize I can't just do one, So do I walk Monday, Wednesday and Friday and cycle Tuesday and Thursday? mind you I'm just starting out so either one I'm only able to do 2 miles a day. Which is more beneficial for me and not working out on weekends good or bad? I want to keep my weekends open for other things, thanks.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Do whatever exercise pattern and type you'll do most often and will enjoy. Just weekdays is fine. Alternating is fine. :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'd say do whichever you prefer. Walking is higher impact, but I enjoy it more. Seems like it takes more effort thank biking for me (at least on a level road). I tend to speed walk, and do periods of running as well, so I get a better workout with that than I do biking. But, that doesn't mean biking isn't a good form of exercise, people I know that do it for exercise simply go much further with biking than I would ever consider doing walking. Since they go faster it takes them less time than it takes me walking as well. Calories.. I dunno which is better, but I personally burn more speed walking/jogging.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Walking with impact will be beneficial for bone density, biking not.

Biking because of no impact usually allows going higher intensity while not feeling as hard, besides walking speed usually taps out, biking just keep going faster as your fitness allows.

I'd do biking more frankly because I love it. Well, totally, but I realize benefit of jogging for some balance for me.
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do both. I prefer biking by big margin, but I also walk and jog just to mix it up. I say do what you like!

And if you don't want to work out on the weekends, that is cool. Everyone needs recovery days.
  • MsUrsy
    MsUrsy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Alternate with which ever you are in the mood for, but do something daily. Taking the weekends off is ok, but just don't over indulge. Have you thought of a spin class that has an instructor that changes up the classes daily, so your not doing the same thing over an over?
  • DavidFromBakersfield
    Options
    Never done a spin class, with this consistent rain we're having and I'm not complaining about that, I have considered some sort of indoor exercise.