Foam Rolling

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can I just jump in here and ask if there are any recommendations as to which type to get? My physio recommended foam rolling as I have a really tight deep muscle in the back of my calf (preventing full movement of my leg, I can't remember the name of the muscle) but I didn't ask her which type to get.

I agree that you may need more than one.

If you're just starting and have never foam rolled than I'd start with a stiff (usually black) smooth roller.

If you've rolled before and know you need deep pressure or certain pressure types I personally own a ribbed medium density roller, a massage stick, a massage ball (about the size of a lacrosse ball), and a spiky roller ball (rumble roller beastie).

I also have used and recommend the theracane if you have issues in the upper back of need to hold points for long periods of time or have mobility issues (for example you can't position yourself on a roller).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^ all of what @rainbowbow said
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I roll pretty much every day. I get really tight calves and IT band and gluteus medius...

I use a foam roller for my IT band and my hammies...I use a tiger tail for my calves...

1.588009TIGERTAIL.jpg

and a lacrosse ball for my gluteus medius
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I need to get me a tiger tail massage stick now. I have a standard massage stick but it can definitely pinch my lil baby hairs.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    it's beautiful torture. and imo worth it for the relief after.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I always tell my clients "foam rolling is mildly painful especially when you start... about a 7 out of 10".

This pain goes to 11.

But, yeah, it gets better.
  • JoRocka
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I roll pretty much every day. I get really tight calves and IT band and gluteus medius...

I use a foam roller for my IT band and my hammies...I use a tiger tail for my calves...

1.588009TIGERTAIL.jpg

I'm glad they finally changed/expanded the design- I hate those plastic "bead" ones that roll on you- I can't stand that feeling or sound- and have consistently put off purchasing one b/c I didn't like that feeling.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

1.588009TIGERTAIL.jpg

I'm glad they finally changed/expanded the design- I hate those plastic "bead" ones that roll on you- I can't stand that feeling or sound- and have consistently put off purchasing one b/c I didn't like that feeling.

can you still find the plastic beaded ones...it just depends on the manufacturer
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is a godsend! Stick with it--it gets easier/less painful and it really does help!

It's a bit addicting though--eventually you'll have to move up to the RumbleRoller to get the 'good' pain!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have a hard fully foam roller, a plastic one that's ribbed and super hard, plus a lacrosse ball, and a yoga wheel. Everything makes me whimper like a puppy to the point that my cat comes and puts her paw on my shoulder to make sure I'm okay, lol.

I personally prefer the yoga wheel for my back. It stretches it out and actually cracks it, which is nice, but not my end goal. It has helped with my back flexibility a lot.

The foam roller has helped with my glutes and tight hamstrings a lot.

That tiger tail looks nice. I may have to invest in one of those. I use the ribbed foam roller for my calves.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Spiky ball in the butt (oo-er) is pretty good and nowhere near as painful as when my then physiotherapist used the full weight of her body on her elbow in my butt with a wiggle to release the muscles. She asked me if I wanted a pencil to bite on. Yowser.

I have a short knobbly roller which I don't use nearly enough and yup, hurt like a mofo. I also want to get a longer one because as above, I can't always get a full or proper roll on the shorty.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I also have 3 different foam rollers, and I need to get a lacrosse ball or something too.
    I've got 2 long ones, one soft and one with pvc inside and square things to stab you. I also have a really small ribbed one that works great for leaning against a wall and really digging into the upper back. I much prefer doing most of my back against the wall.
    ETA - Cupping has helped me a bit too. I have them do this during my massage.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I know this is slightly off-topic but I agree with whoever mentioned Myofascial Release as opposed to rolling. That sounds much safer and probably feels better. My then-occupational therapist taught me to accept the warm relief that comes with it, but we never got to discuss DIY therapy/foam-rolling.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I know this is slightly off-topic but I agree with whoever mentioned Myofascial Release as opposed to rolling. That sounds much safer and probably feels better. My then-occupational therapist taught me to accept the warm relief that comes with it, but we never got to discuss DIY therapy/foam-rolling.

From my understanding rolling is a form of myofacial release.
    it's just not as direct since it's got a broader distrubtion.

But I use my LAX ball for specific myofacial release.

most people can't afford to go do ART/Myofacial release at the rate in which they truly need it- foam rolling is a stop gap that helps maintain and preserve.

I can comfortably saying anyone training regularly should be getting body work- and mobility and doing self care in the form of rolling.
  • rainbowbow
    edited February 2017
    Options

most people can't afford to go do ART/Myofacial release at the rate in which they truly need it- foam rolling is a stop gap that helps maintain and preserve.

I can comfortably saying anyone training regularly should be getting body work- and mobility and doing self care in the form of rolling.

Yes, foam rolling is a form of self myofascial release. This is why I mentioned a spiky roller and spiky ball. I never ever just "roll" over the area and in my opinion if this is how you're using your foam roller you're not using it optimally. (Edit: Not you, JoRocka this is just a general "you who is reading this")

I use the ribbed points on my spiky roller to find trigger points and then I position the roller accordingly, apply the right level of pressure, and then hold for 30-60 seconds until I've felt the tension release.

At the end I'll do a massage stick with quick up and down strokes parallel to the muscle.

This is why I asked how much of a beginner the OP was as well. Usually beginners have MANY trigger points or "adhesions" whereas someone who releases often may only have 2 or 3. In this case it's better to have a tool with deeper and more concentrated pressure.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    foam rolling is a self-administered form of myofascial release (i.e. breaking up the layers of fascia that form between our muscles). I use both
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I'm willing to go a step further and say that even anyone not training regularly should be getting body work... Sitting at a desk, looking down at a computer or mobile device, sitting in the car--all are horrible for musculoskeletal health (which then gets exacerabated by the training)!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Yes, foam rolling is a form of self myofascial release. This is why I mentioned a spiky roller and spiky ball. I never ever just "roll" over the area and in my opinion if this is how you're using your foam roller you're not using it optimally. (Edit: Not you, JoRocka this is just a general "you who is reading this")

I use the ribbed points on my spiky roller to find trigger points and then I position the roller accordingly, apply the right level of pressure, and then hold for 30-60 seconds until I've felt the tension release.

At the end I'll do a massage stick with quick up and down strokes parallel to the muscle.

This is why I asked how much of a beginner the OP was as well. Usually beginners have MANY trigger points or "adhesions" whereas someone who releases often may only have 2 or 3. In this case it's better to have a tool with deeper and more concentrated pressure.

I missed where you asked that. I'm a beginner at foam rolling but I've been seeing this therapist monthly for deep tissue massage for something like 8 years now. She often assigns me stretches and exercises when I'm injured to aid in recovery and to deal with problems areas when I'm uninjured. Last session I mentioned that I'm concerned how my left knee seems to turn out and my hips are not level when squatting. She thinks tight calves might be causing the issue. I'm to foam roll until my next appointment in early March and then she's going to evaluate my form again.

I use a medium (I think) foam roller. It's blue and slightly squishy but not as squishy as the lighter blue one available at my gym and softer than the black one that might as well be a piece of pipe.

Oh and whoever said foam rolling was a 7 out of 10 on the pain scale....bahahahahahahaha! I'd call it something more like eleventy-12000 on a scale of 1-10. I'm hard pressed to think of anything, including a child birth, a small variety of broken bones and a torn ACL, that I'd consider more painful. As a former boxer, I'd rather get punched in the face. A lot.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

I'm willing to go a step further and say that even anyone not training regularly should be getting body work... Sitting at a desk, looking down at a computer or mobile device, sitting in the car--all are horrible for musculoskeletal health (which then gets exacerabated by the training)!

I can't imagine not training- much less sitting at a desk all and doing nothing for your body at all ever. I hadn't even thought of that LOL
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    OK, you all have convinced me to give it another shot. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong because it hurt so badly. But my hip flexors are so tight, I can't seem to stretch enough before squats and I still can't go down as far as I would like. Maybe this will help.