Will I come to love strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not.

I've been lifting for a little over a year. Like a lot of things, some days it's great, some days it's just ok, and some days I'd rather be elsewhere. Engaging my nerd side does tend to help keep me focused and excited, as well as changing up programming and goals every now and then.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

It's cycling I really enjoy; I do get up at 4:00 a.m. to use my stationary bike on work days.

There are a few reasons I wanted to include a little strength into my life. I'm getting close to the half-way point in my weight loss (84 lbs down so far) and this feels like the right time. My son won't always be around to do the heavy stuff. I'd like to be able to clean the chicken coop without feeling like I'm going to die. :)

One of the ways I convince myself to weight train (when I do ;) ) is by telling myself - truthfully - that it'll improve my rowing, the thing I actually enjoy & care about, and help me avoid unbalanced-overuse injuries (a risk because rowing is all lower-body push and upper body pull).

This might not be as helpful a 'persuader' with cycling, since I'm not sure (out of ignorance) whether improving the upper body strength, especially, will achieve those things in cycling.

Just a thought, though.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    What program are you using? That can make a big difference.

Just dumbbells at home.

Regarding structured programs that are dumbbell-specific, I just started this one on Sunday and have found it to be quite fun so far.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    People keep telling me that I'm going to love strength training and become addicted. It hasn't happened yet; still a chore.

I found a spreadsheet that I can fill out to track progress, which helps keep my nerd side engaged. But it would be wonderful if it became something I looked forward to, like cycling.

My question is: were you converted to the strength training side and how long did it take?

I find it dull as Hel, but it serves a purpose. I'm an endurance runner and it helps that performance.

That said I use a plyometric routine as a means to make it more interesting.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 or 4 months to convert from a die hard runner to a lifter with a running hobby. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women and the results blew me away--plus the rush of pushing myself every session and lifting heavier.

Getting Bluetooth headphones so i can listen to my audiobooks helps a lot too--otherwise I'd be bored after a while.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be able to clean the chicken coop without feeling like I'm going to die. :)

O_O how heavy are your chickens ??? or maybe i should ask what you're feeding them.

i didn't have a 'grow-to-love-it' experience; it was more like seeing someone from across a room for the first time and flinging obstacles/people out of my way until i could lay hands on them. weirdest thing. i knew nothing about it, but i knew that i wanted to do it, for sure. it happened to me with my profession too, now that i think about it. there's never been a form of exercise that i ever 'grew' to love. it's always been: 'i don't care what it takes, i am going to do this', or 'bleh'.

if what you need is enough strength to clean chicken coops, then you could develop that strength by . . . cleaning chicken coops? couldn't you? i mean, the way to get 'good' at lifting weights is to lift weights, so the same kind of thing should apply.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I love it! I started seriously May 2016 with SL 5x5. Now it's an addiction. If I could do the program everyday I would. My obsession now is nailing down sumo deadlifts for form and weight.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be able to clean the chicken coop without feeling like I'm going to die. :)

O_O how heavy are your chickens ??? or maybe i should ask what you're feeding them.

i didn't have a 'grow-to-love-it' experience; it was more like seeing someone from across a room for the first time and flinging obstacles/people out of my way until i could lay hands on them. weirdest thing. i knew nothing about it, but i knew that i wanted to do it, for sure. it happened to me with my profession too, now that i think about it. there's never been a form of exercise that i ever 'grew' to love. it's always been: 'i don't care what it takes, i am going to do this', or 'bleh'.

if what you need is enough strength to clean chicken coops, then you could develop that strength by . . . cleaning chicken coops? couldn't you? i mean, the way to get 'good' at lifting weights is to lift weights, so the same kind of thing should apply.

Lol. I use the deep litter method during the winter, which means in the spring there's at least 8 inches of straw/waste to pitchfork and shovel out into a wheelbarrow and to the compost pile.

Lots of great insights in the replies. Thanks again. I'll keep working at it knowing that even if I never love it, it's still worthwhile.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Some days, lifting is a chore still.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You are getting sleepy. Veeeery Sleeepy. You love strength training. You can't wait to strength training again, because you enjoy it so much. When I snap my fingers you will awaken with love for strength training. Snap!
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love weight training. I prefer the iron to cardio. Try www.bodybuilding.com for some free circuits to follow.
  • bkleemd
    bkleemd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the structure and doing it until it becomes your new normal. For me, the final piece was a supportive group of friends to discuss it with and occasionally workout with.
  • heather233
    heather233 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do my own workouts now! I love strength training. Results are what make it worth it. Give it time and be patient
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Maybe not. I adore strength training and always have. I love what it does for me and I get a kick out of the challenge. I don't enjoy cardio. I do it for the health benefits but still don't love it. I try to find cardio I do enjoy, like walking or hiking. Maybe you can find a program you do enjoy for weights-Kettlebells or body weight work for examples.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    The pump is everything ask arnold
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Will I come to love strength training?......If you're not, you're not doing it right,lol.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I do two different forms of strength training, body weight training done by pole dancing, and lifting weights. The moment I took my first pole class I was addicted. The way it trains my arms, shoulders, core, and back is so amazing. Failing at a move and then nailing it after practice or even nailing a move on the first try is addictive. Seeing a move that looks impossible, but eventually getting it is addictive. Being able to lift myself up into complicated poses and tricks is mind blowing. Thinking back to my teenage self who hated gym and being active to where I am now is mind blowing.

I got into weight lifting to supplement pole. Things started to get super difficult in pole and I knew that lifting would help. Also, I needed something that would really work my lower body. Don't get me wrong, pole works it some, but not the way that back squats or deadlifts do. So I hired a trainer to help me. The first time in the weight room was super cool, doing normal squats to improve my form was fantastic b/c I also thought my squats sucked (I still don't think my squat is that awesome without a bar). The first time I put that bar across my back and actually squating and being able to get myself back up was so cool. Adding weights & chasing a 1RM is fun to me.

With all of that being said, would I have attempted it without pole as my motivator, no I wouldn't have. Everything I do fitness wise is with pole in mind. How is this going to make me better at pole? If I can't answer that in a positive way, then I ditch that exercise.

All of this is to say that you need to find out what your overall goal is and do what will help you achieve that. Will strength training help you get to your goal? I am of the mind to say yes it will.

Plus, there are so many different ways to strength train, look up You Are Your Own Gym, think outside the box and try a trapeze or silks class. Find a structured weight lifting program like Stronglifts. I think once you find a form of strength training that you like, it won't seem like such a chore.