Inches?

Options
Anyone feel like there losing more inches than pounds i looked in the mirror today and feel like i have lost a few inches to where i could see it but i have only lost 12 lbs.?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I would recommend taking measurements. It will help you see your progress. With that said, depending on how much you have to lose, 12 lbs may be noticeable. It is for me.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    12lbs for me was 5" down around the lower belly and 3" down around the hips. I agree with the above poster. You should take measurements.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat so if you are working out a lot maybe your weight won't change that much, but your body measurements will tell you more. :smile:
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    0831227 wrote: »
    Muscles are heavier than fat so if you are working out a lot maybe your weight won't change that much, but your body measurements will tell you more. :smile:

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

True, but a 1 inch by 1 inch cube of muscle is heavier than 1 inch by 1inch of fat.

Thus muscles are heavier than fat.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

True, but a 1 inch by 1 inch cube of muscle is heavier than 1 inch by 1inch of fat.

While I don't disagree, I highly doubt this is relevant to the OP. She's not gaining significant muscle in a deficit.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

• stanmann571
    Options

While I don't disagree, I highly doubt this is relevant to the OP. She's not gaining significant muscle in a deficit.

I know that is the MFP consensus groupthink myth. That doesn't mean its so.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Trivial point, but it's actually the density (mass/volume) of muscle that is greater than that of fat. Weight = Mass x gravitational acceleration (g). Thus the weight of equal masses of muscle and fat will be the same, though the volume of that mass of fat will be greater.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Dear, 1lb of everything is equal to 1lb of everything, you know :smile: But muscles are heavier than fat, which was my point, never talked about lbs.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

Dear, 1lb of everything is equal to 1lb of everything, you know :smile: But muscles are heavier than fat, which was my point, never talked about lbs.

Either way it's irrelevant because there is no way she is gaining enough muscle in that deficit that it would impact her scale.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options

I guarantee that someone asking this question is not in a recomp that would allow for this. It's POSSIBLE, but extremely unlikely.
  • stanmann571
    Options

I guarantee that someone asking this question is not in a recomp that would allow for this. It's POSSIBLE, but extremely unlikely.

You keep saying that, but there's no evidence supporting you.

And a 12 pound loss is plenty of time to gain muscle.
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was down 6" with about a 10 lbs loss. It definitely happens.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

How much muscle do you think a women who doesn't mention that she's lifting heavy with a big enough deficit to lose 12 lbs is gaining? Are you aware of how hard it is for a women to gain muscle while eating at a surplus and doing a progressive overload lifting program and everything perfectly?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    OP is eating 1000-1200 calories a day. There is no way she is lifting in any kind of overload with that deficit, based solely on the lack of energy she probably has.

OP, what are your stats? That's a really low calorie goal, and I'm concerned you're undereating.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

The other poster said the word "significant", and she's correct.

In the time it would take to lose 12 pounds, the OP would not have gained any significant muscle, considering that she's on such a small caloric intake and the fact that she's a woman. The people who do put on muscle in a deficit generally meet some specific criteria for those gains, and it takes some time to see noticeable results.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's fascinating that you made that assessment without knowing anything about the OP that drives the ability to gain muscle in a deficit like, her programming, deficit levels, protein levels, how new to lifting she is, genetics, medical conditions, etc...

OP, depending on where you store fat, it might be more visible in those areas. I wouldn't get too caught up in how much weight you are actually losing because people don't know how much you are actually losing. But they will notice you are shrinking.