New knee injury! Weight gain

Options
I was doing really great on the C25K and then some idiot drove their truck on the trail and a bunch of people got ran off the trail including me. I slipped and twisted my leg landing in a pothole while trying to move out the way in time and I ended up messing my knee up more. The doctor has placed me on bed rest until my new physical therapist comes at the end of the month giving me enough time to get rest. Ive already noticed I've started to gain some weight back and I don't know what to do for exercise while on bed rest or when I can start running again. I still need to reach my goal weight and can't do that if i'm on bed rest, but I also know I need to rest for it to get better. What do I do to avoid more weight gain and still be able to lose weight in the meantime? Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss comes from your calorie deficit. if you're on bed rest, you need to adjust your calories to sedentary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Please don't do what I did when my knee got mangled by an idiot driver.

I was bored, depressed, leg flapping in the breeze or on enforced bed rest with leg muscles withering away and comfort ate.
    Gained 20lbs in 3 months and kept that extra fat suit for 20 years because I blamed the driver. Clearly he didn't actually regularly visit me to force feed food down my pie hole.....

Right now I think you should try and maintain and not try to lose weight - good nutrition can only help with recovery from injury. Get back on the weight loss trail when you are up and about.

As for exercise, bed rest is bed rest but can't you get to see your therapist sooner to get you on rehab exercises a.s.a.p.?
    Bed rest is horrendous for rapid muscle loss and the time immobile needs to be minimised under the guidance of your medics.

When you are up and around daily "walks" on crutches are great for traps and triceps!
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been as hungry lately since the pain is pretty bad. So that may be contributing to it, but at the same time I don't want to force myself to eat if I'm not up for it. Thankfully the bones in my knee are still fine, but it looks like the muscles may have torn they didnt go into much detail for me. It got pretty inflamed when the dr moved it. And yes that is the soonest I can get into see the new p.t. they're booked solid until march and my follow up dr took all my paperwork so I can't look at what stretches were on the papers. I hate being on bed rest though it sucks. They've actually given me a removeable big bulky cast to keep my knee and foot straight and no crutches just a cane. I cant really walk or sleep cause I have to keep the leg elevated and not bent while I wear it and when it's off it hurts more, but I dont like wearing it long cause it makes the back of my ankle chaf and lose feeling