Fruit sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    Sugar is not bad for you. Eating too much will make you fat, but you basically can't do that eating fruit. Make sure you eat enough protein and enjoy your fruit.

You can't get fat eating fruit, oh yea? I did!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Eloise2968 wrote: »
    I eat a lot of fruit and then I look at my macros and and really shocked about how high the levels are. I'm still slightly unsure whether I should be worrying about the sugar from my fruit and veg (this is non processed and a lot of the time eaten raw) I don't feel any negative side effects physically but I don't want it to be doing my body any harm.

Dont obsess with sugar unless you have a medical reason to, fruit adds a lot to diet including good Fibre in edition to many vitamins and water.

Also processed fruit juice is worse than eating a fruit, because the fruit in fiber helps to stabilize the blood sugar levels.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not bad for you. Eating too much will make you fat, but you basically can't do that eating fruit. Make sure you eat enough protein and enjoy your fruit.

Yup, so did I.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Yup, so did I.

you sure it wasn't all the other calories you ate?
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    But fine, eat 20 apples a day and you can get fat from it. Eat a massive amount of almost anything and you can get fat from it. 3-4 fruits a day is healthy and the sugar in them is nothing to worry about, that is the point.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You'd have to eat a fair bit of fruit to put on weight... You'd have to eat probably 40 apples a day or dangerous levels of bananas if that's all you are eating.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options

Yup, so did I.

you sure it wasn't all the other calories you ate?

Well of course it was due to my total daily caloric intake, but I was drinking 1.5L of fruit smoothies/day during that time. The rest of my diet hadn't changed - moderately sized meals consisting mostly of Whole Foods. And those smoothie calories added a lot to my daily intake.

The point being: if you consume so much fruit (or anything else for that matter) that you go over maintenance, you'll gain weight. In my case, those smoothies were the biggest contributor. And no, I didn't make them with frozen yogurt or ice cream as a base.
  • L1zardQueen
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I overate whole foods especially fruit. I hadn't realized you can't eat the whole box of persimmons and wonder why I was struggling with weight loss. Have you ever tried a fuyu persimmon? I betcha you can't just t eat one.

Typo
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    I overate whole foods especially fruit. I hadn't realized you can't eat the whole box of persimmons and wonder why I was struggling with weight loss. Have you ever tried a fuyu persimmon. I betcha you can't gust eat one.

Mine was definitely due to mangos and bananas, but I do love me some persimmons. My grandparents have a persimmon tree in their backyard. So good...
  • L1zardQueen
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I overate whole foods especially fruit. I hadn't realized you can't eat the whole box of persimmons and wonder why I was struggling with weight loss. Have you ever tried a fuyu persimmon. I betcha you can't gust eat one.

Mine was definitely due to mangos and bananas, but I do love me some persimmons. My grandparents have a persimmon tree in their backyard. So good...

My friend has a tree too but I do have to be careful. They are the debil!
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    A comparison would be eating coco leaves. It may help with a toothache, but you aren't going to get chemically dependent on chewing/eating leaves. It is only when you process it to concentrate the cocaine alkaloid (removing over 99% of the other constituents) that you get the drug that can kill you. "Added sugar" is typically the same deal. Even maple syrup is concentrated by evaporating 95%+ of the original volume before straining.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit and veggies that have sugar. I even eat yogurt and honey every night. I think unless you have goals such as a figure competition. you're one of those keto people or you have a medical reason, there is no reason to cut out fruit. Maybe don't eat it all day, but a few pieces of fruit a day can't be bad for a healthy person. This shouldn't even be a question.

Funny how we go from eating whatever we want that is totally unhealthy to looking at an apple and questioning it's intentions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A comparison would be eating coco leaves. It may help with a toothache, but you aren't going to get chemically dependent on chewing/eating leaves. It is only when you process it to concentrate the cocaine alkaloid (removing over 99% of the other constituents) that you get the drug that can kill you. "Added sugar" is typically the same deal. Even maple syrup is concentrated by evaporating 95%+ of the original volume before straining.

Sugar is not even remotely the same thing as cocaine.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Never knew what a persimmon was until I met my husband. He LOVED those seasonal persimmons and persimmon cookies!