Dairy and Water Retention

Options
I frequently suffer from extreme spikes in water weight, mainly around my stomach... Usually i am pretty lean around 12% body fat. With these extra pounds of water weight I look significantly different.

Since about a week i cut out dairy products (I was consuming A LOT of dairy) and I also increased Salt intake (yes INCREASED). Ever since I lost almost all the water and feel/look way better.

Did somebody else experience something similar or has data/research on this?

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    You could be lactose intolerant which might account for you feeling better since cutting out dairy?
  • joseaptavaresmarques
    Options
    You could be lactose intolerant which might account for you feeling better since cutting out dairy?

That's it, MaxPrinz. You're probably lactose intolerant. Try to test for food intolerances and avoid lactose - milk is more harmful than beneficial.
  • Jellybewbie
    Jellybewbie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It could certainly be that. I developed bad symptoms when consuming dairy, and now I have cut it out I feel so much better! I notice that i am not as bloated either.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I wouldn't say that milk is harmful but can cause problems in some people. I find I'm OK with lactose free milk
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    You can be tested for lactose intolerance but if you decide to do that, be aware that it requires you to carry on eating foods with lactose in them for a few weeks prior to testing!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yup I can tell from picture my face looks way less puffy without dairy
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Dairy, namely cheese, has a poopton of salt in it. If you cut it out of your diet, and added more salt elsewhere, you still might be eating less salt than when you were consuming cheese. Hard to be sure, but something to consider.

And i noticed the same thing when i cut dairy. I was holding onto a lot of water, and i started to normalize after cutting dairy.

• littlechiaseed
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Dairy, namely cheese, has a poopton of salt in it. If you cut it out of your diet, and added more salt elsewhere, you still might be eating less salt than when you were consuming cheese. Hard to be sure, but something to consider.

And i noticed the same thing when i cut dairy. I was holding onto a lot of water, and i started to normalize after cutting dairy.

It also has poop in it :neutral:

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Any guesses what many vegetables are fertilized with?
  • littlechiaseed
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Any guesses what many vegetables are fertilized with?

Four

• wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I recently found in supermarket A2 milk, a man had food test and was told lactose intolerence. He got lactose free milk but stiill had problems. So he went for further tests and was told there are A1/A2 in milk he had intolerence to A1.

He then went on to do research and found that A1 is in modern cows milk but not in old varieties. With the help of a cattle farmer he produced A2 milk and now has no problem.

It is similar to people with gluten problems they can eat food made from old variety flour. This is because they are not treated with chemicals where everyday wheat is treat 4-5 times before being turned into flour.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I recently found in supermarket A2 milk, a man had food test and was told lactose intolerence. He got lactose free milk but stiill had problems. So he went for further tests and was told there are A1/A2 in milk he had intolerence to A1.

He then went on to do research and found that A1 is in modern cows milk but not in old varieties. With the help of a cattle farmer he produced A2 milk and now has no problem.

It is similar to people with gluten problems they can eat food made from old variety flour. This is because they are not treated with chemicals where everyday wheat is treat 4-5 times before being turned into flour.

Here in the uk you can get A2 and A1 milk. Also I find of I eat too much bread etc,it bloats me out but am OK with products made from Spelt wheat,which is an old variety.
    But everyone is different - always best to be tested before cutting out food groups
  • larry_world
    larry_world Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes. I cut out dairy about 3 weeks ago and I noticed a big difference in my weight. I lost about 2 more lbs per week. Now I stay completely away from dairy and added salt.
  • wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It maybe just me but I don't use salt in cooking other than what is in stock cubes etc or add to meal after cooking but things seem to be salter today. Maybe it is that my taste buds have got more sensitive but it has been years since I stopped using it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A word for fermented dairy. Kefir is easy to make, has little to no lactose, and is more nutritious and beneficial than fresh milk. If you want dairy benefits while being lactose intolerant, try it.

And the probiotic community of critters in kefir totally wipe out e. coli.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What was it? Something like 65% of the world population has some kind of lactose intolerance? Poor *kitten*.

#feelsgoodtobeofscottishdescent
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I get small skin break outs, kinda like those milk pimples babies get, and slightly bloated when i drink normal milk. This is all disappears pretty much straight away when i switch to A2 milk.

I've tested it out many times by alternating regular milk and A2, and get the same results every time.