Something I've found useful...

Options
2»

Replies

• leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Just want to say, I wasn't trying to detract from your post, OP! I'm actually going to go shop for activity trackers ;)

No worries!!! And thanks for the input!
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A little Fit Bit tip I just figured out... If you set it to say you're wearing on your dominate hand, even if you aren't, it will cut down on the extra "steps" from waving your hand and whatnot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I appreciate your post, because I've been thinking about getting an activity tracker for the same reason (I actually think my TDEE may be quite a bit less than MFP gives me credit for). But may I point out that, if your profile pic is current, 2 lbs/week sounds far too aggressive for you. 2 lbs/week is generally for obese people. If you have a relatively small amount to lose, a 2 lb/week goal will cause you to burn valuable lean muscle mass.

Thank you for the info! :)

I had 19 lbs to lose when I started Jan 4. 13 left to go to my goal of 140lbs. Could probably lose more but that is where I always feel most fit. I naturally seem to be more muscular which i think is why I've never been able to get down to the 120s even with small to medium frame size. I figure as long as I'm eating my 1200 calories a day and reaching my deficit by exercise I should be able to maintain my muscle ??

Exercise can mean different things. Lifting heavy weights will do a lot to help you maintain muscle. Cardio will not. If cardio built muscle, marathon runners would look like body builders.

"Cardio" can mean different things, too. Most serious cyclists, even those who don't lift, have decent leg muscle, and I'd bet serious cycling is enough to maintain some muscle at least there (though I admit I can't prove it).

I'm pretty certain that my "cardio" - rowing, mostly on-water - helped me maintain muscle while I was losing. Recently, a weight-training new MFP friend even assumed I was a bodybuilder, I guess based on profile pic - made me LOL. ;)

No question that lifting heavy is a quicker, less time-consuming route to building strength and maintaining muscle, though. Good for everyone . . . I should do some. ;)

(Seems like losing too fast with no exercise is probably the fastest route to muscle loss. Not what the study's about, but check figure 2: journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0004377 (EX was "structured aerobic"). )

But I'm off topic - apologies.

OP: For me, almost anything, within reason, that improves the quality of data available to me, has resulted in easier and clearer results. It sound like the Fitbit is doing that for you: Good show!

I doubt anyone's going to trot out definitive proof that losing 2 pounds a week with 13 pounds to go is a muscle-killer, but I think it's realistic to believe it creates increased risk. (Research suggests one can only metabolize 30-something calories of fat per day per pound of fat you're carrying. 2 pounds a week is 1000 calories' deficit daily, which would require you to have 30-some pounds of body fat. Do you? I guess you're at 153, so 30-some pounds of bodyfat would put your BF% in the lower 20%s, and it's probably at least that - but I don't know. And that's a theoretical construct, so personally, I'd want to leave some extra wiggle room for insurance purposes, and lose slower. For us women, muscle is difficult and time-consuming to re-build, especially as we age. Not losing unnecessary amounts is a much better proposition.)
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my guy is getting me a Fitbit for Valentines Day. I'm so excited!!! Well I hope it's a Fitbit
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Having a fitbit is a huge motivator for getting off my bum!

Before Fitbit - averaged 2-3k steps per day.

After Fitbit - Average 15-20k steps per day.

2 years later, and I'm still totally addicted to my beloved fitbit!!