Question: Tips/Routine for the gym?

Options
Hi everyone,
I have a gym membership at Blink, I like the place so far but I haven't found my groove as far as getting into a good routine. Yes, i know the hardest part is getting started. Sometimes i go with my sister in law at the worst time of day for me which is 6:00pm. She only likes to do the cardio equipment. I'd like to start going by myself but here's the thing, i cant afford a trainer right now. I just want to start going.

My question is, my first instinct is to go to the cardio machines. Can any of you give me tips on how often i should go (I'm a beginner, who wants to loose fat, inches, and weight. I wouldn't mind strength training) and I am supposed to go 5 days a week am strengthening certain parts of my body on some days and other parts on the rest of the days.

Hoping this question doesn't sound to stupid.
Thanks for your help

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This is a list of lifting programs. Read through them and find one that suits your levels/needs/time, etc.

No trainer is absolutely necessary - you can watch form videos online. It may be beneficial to have one session to learn how to do the lifts but that is absolutely up to you.
  • Josyurtos23
    Josyurtos23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I was looking for!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    there's also some pretty good warmup routines out there if you google. i do agile 8 atm, but a bit intermittently because i came to it late.

the upper-body stuff i was taught right away on my first day with my trainer, though . . . that stuff has stuck to me like a burr. i don't think my brain recognises the idea of benching/pressing without doing my broomstick dislocates and my band pulling first. so probably good to make some kind of active warmup part of your automatic routine right away too.