HAVE YOU EVER DONE A JUICE FAST

Options
124»

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I have read that fasting can help autoimmune disorders. - I considered trying it (I have ulcerative colitis ) but can't find any actual hard research. Can't see how it helps long term with weight loss.

I would think it would make it worse since it stresses the body of what it actually needs....food. Stress is typically at the top if the list for flare ups with autoimmune. Remote stress and autoimmune disease gets better.

Fun fact irrelevant to the rest of the post, but evidence suggests illness induced anorexia is actually an adaptive trait, because it helps prevent resource competition in the body (I.e. Some enzymes might but used by digestive and immune system but exclusively, so decrease food intake helps free up those resources to combat infection) haven't looked into those sort of effects in autoimmune disorders, but definitely a possibility that some fasting could help with that resource competition. Obviously prolonged frequent fasting no, because of that stress on the body, and nutrient deficiencies that would result. It would also be disease specific and might be dependent on food composition, so maybe fasting isn't necessary but avoid fatty foods because lipid transporter is also involved in the immune response. Definitely interesting avenue for research...

Sorry for completely off topic, to reel it back in, there's no reason to actually do a juice fast like everyone has said. You can do a search for people's experiences because people will always insist anyways, many find they are fatigued, get headaches, and gain all the weight back.

This discussion has been closed.