To what length have you gone to count calories?

Options
I had a dream about my grandmother today. I remembered how every morning, a few women from the neighborhood would gather at my grandmother's and drink tea. I felt special because in addition to tea I got these biscotti-like cookies. She would arrange them in a plate for me, sprinkle some dried milk on top then pour the tea on top. They would soak up all the tea and become soft so I could eat them with a spoon.

I'm determined to buy them today, but they are only sold by weight in local bakeries. No labels or calories. Do I just log any Italian biscotti (that's the most similar item in terms of moisture level)? NOOOO! That would be too easy! I googled local recipes for making them, and most of them have similar ingredient ratios, so that should make things easier. Next, I created a recipe using one of the most representative recipes I found online. I then looked at the ratio of fat to carbs and protein. That's 18 grams of fat to roughly 100 grams of carbs+protein. Now, back to the database sifting through all the biscotti entries in grams until I found one that had a close enough fat to carb and protein ratio. I then used that to guess at the finished weight of my created recipe and divide the number of servings into 100 gram servings for easy logging. Of course knowing how calorie dense these are made me a little bit sad, but that's another story.

It felt like a mini victory and I did a small victory dance. I didn't need to go through all that, but it felt good to do. No wonder some people think we are pathologically obsessed.

What weird things have you done to count calories/manage intake/exercise...etc that make you deserving of that "you're crazy" reaction?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Loved this. I am very lazy logger but you take the cake!
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How close was it to the generic biscotti? Might be too much effort for me lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't usually do this with every item, I often just log something similar and tend to pick entries that are on the higher end just to be safe. I just got curious for information purposes. Am I doing well logging the higher calorie items? These are like biscotti but VERY lightly sweetened (2 tbsp of sugar per 1kg of flour), so they must be a little bit different - I was hoping to justify logging a lower calorie entry. I had to know! Turns out the closest database entry was also the second highest in calories with only a few calories difference from the highest. It also turns out my "biscottis" have twice the protein. Yes, I will definitely continue picking the highest calorie entries when guessing in the future.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Early on in my logging, my husband bought me a tub of a noodle salad I like from the grocery store deli counter. It has chicken and mango and jicama and noodles and some cashews, carrots maybe. I love this salad and wanted to eat it so I took it apart and weighed all the components on my scale. I'd probably be able to make a good estimated guess now I'm accustomed to seeing how much things weigh.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Taking a food scale with me when I go out to eat, weighing each item of food as I eat it, and writing it down in a notebook.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Heehee that's pretty funny.

I'm actually pretty lazy so I would have just picked something similar in the database.

If I had to name something odd I've done I guess it would be discreetly picking through a burrito trying to identify all the ingredients while at a friends house.

Yes, me too.

Probably would of guessed the weight too.

But then I am on record as being a lazy logger :)

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fishing packaging out of the trash bin because I forgot to scan it or log it. :laugh:
    This and digging through the menu and database for entries similar to what I want are the most that I've done.

Ill keep a picture of nutriton facts on my phone if it's something I haven't entered into my diary before.

• 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fishing packaging out of the trash bin because I forgot to scan it or log it. :laugh:
    I did that last night. My husband cooked sausages but tossed out the tray it came in. I screeched and started digging through the trash bag. Thankfully it was just two items down in the bag and the UPC scanner code was clean. I scanned that baby and logged it in with a sigh of relief. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

I also wrote the grocery store chain last month where I purchased some tea. "Immunitea". The tea was a store brand without a nutritional label. I know normally counts/nutrition would be considered negligible if no label is present...But I scanned in the UPC and it came up with 4 Carbs or so per serving. (What?!). So I wrote "Metro" asking them if they could provide the information on it. The response I got back was...Thank you for your email. Unfortunately this information is not available. This product does not require a nutritional facts panel so the vendor would not test for nutritionals.

Yeah. Great.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one :lol:
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take pictures of my food, often in restaurants. When I get home, I use the picture to log my calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I took a container and my food scale with me in the car because I knew we would be getting a big thing of fries at a drive thru and splitting them among 3 people while we were on the road. I wanted my portion to be exactly right with what I had prelogged.
    Nothing too crazy.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I actually don't count calories, it never worked for me... I m halfway through my weigth loss and what works for me is no alcohol and training 5 times a week.
    I basically eat mostly healthy food that I enjoy as much as I need/want to and have a cheat meal once or twice a week. I rarely drink: 2/3 glasses every 3 weeks...
    Thankfully it works :)
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Yes - I've done this before.

I've also risked taking my as-yet-unpaid-for pre-packaged salad outside the café to catch a wi-fi signal so that I could scan the barcode on it before I decided to buy it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options

I do this at work, alllll the time. Throw out a wrapper from a protein bar or something and back in I go.

t0hbopsgeb33.jpg
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

The amount of times I have done that is ridiculous!

I've emailed companies asking for their nutritional info if it isn't on the packaging and website.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    CarShelley wrote: »
    I actually don't count calories, it never worked for me... I m halfway through my weigth loss and what works for me is no alcohol and training 5 times a week.
    I basically eat mostly healthy food that I enjoy as much as I need/want to and have a cheat meal once or twice a week. I rarely drink: 2/3 glasses every 3 weeks...
    Thankfully it works :)

It works because you are eating less calories than you are burning.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one :lol:

Yep, done that.

Also, last night I made MrsStealthHealth eat half a round of toast because I only had cals for 1 and a half and I didn't wan't to throw the other half away.