Grocery list

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
Since I have struggled with my nutrition, I have decided to make a new grocery list but I need help. Can you guys recommend, whether through here or suggesting another website, foods that are low in fat and carbs, yet high in protein?

Thanks

Replies

• Jaimeclmt
    Jaimeclmt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is on my list almost weekly. I can get a 2-pack of the 32-ounce containers for only $5.00. :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    What foods do you like? I like to pick up pre washed salad greens. I find in more likely to eat them if I don't need to prep.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I'm trying to find foods low in fat and carbs yet high in protein. I'm trying to eat healthier but it's tough. I like foods that aren't the best for me but aren't the worst
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    Since I have struggled with my nutrition, I have decided to make a new grocery list but I need help. Can you guys recommend, whether through here or suggesting another website, foods that are low in fat and carbs, yet high in protein?

Thanks

Have you been filling out your MFP chart for the foods you eat? You can read through the lines to see what numbers you're getting from the foods you've been entering.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What types of foods do you like to eat normally? Don't feel like you need to cut out carbs and all fat to be healthy. Look for balance. Do you like fruits and vegetables? Make 1/2 of your lunch and dinner plates non-starchy vegetables. That's always a good starting point.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

That discussion is your friend. At the bottom of the first post is a link to a google spreadsheet which you can download and have at your service.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find foods low in fat and carbs yet high in protein. I'm trying to eat healthier but it's tough. I like foods that aren't the best for me but aren't the worst

The reason people keep asking what you like to eat is that this is a huge, broad question. It helps to start with things you're already interested in or at least familiar with rather than bombarding you with dozens of foods you've never cooked with.

Have you come across this spreadsheet yet? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Eggs, kale, leafy greens, mushrooms, boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork loin.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I like to eat peanut butter (I know I know), eggs, 35 calorie bread, oatmeal, bananas, chocolate, low fat mayo, pizza (again I know it's not the best), cinnamon, oranges, grapes, chicken breast and lunch meat are some of the things I eat regularly.
  • Forciblyfit4fifty
    Forciblyfit4fifty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Egg whites (I use a mix of whole eggs and whites to bump up protein) , chicken breast, turkey breast, white fish, low fat dairy...

If you really can't get enough protein, look in to a protein powder (whey protein isolate has minimal carbs and fat). If you don't want to drink a shake, you can add it to oatmeal, yoghurt, smoothies etc.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Eggs, greek yogurt, chicken, turkey, tuna, lentils, protein powder/bars, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, jerky.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Eggs,cottage cheese, chicken and turkey,any lean meat, whey protein powder,quinoa (though that's not low on carbs),fish.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Beans are an excellent non-animal source for when your palate needs some variety. I don't know how low carb you like to eat. They'll run you less than 20 g a serving, and they have a substantial amount of fiber.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    High protein foods - you can look it up, but it's basically eggs, meat, fish, milk, beans and protein powder. I'm not sure that will help you, though. It's tough to "eat healthy" because you don't know what it means and make it harder than it has to be by assuming that what you like is unhealthy just because you like it (I know what that's like, it's a daily struggle). Just eating "protein foods" is both unbalanced and boring and totally unnecessary; mindlessly adding protein foods can make you exceed your calorie allowance. Instead, tell us what it is you struggle with regarding nutrition. Yes, log what you are eating, and open your diary. Then we can see if there is need for improvement and offer relevant suggestions. You can most likely fit in all your favorite foods if you plan for them.