At a stand still

Options
I've been dieting and exercising for just over a month. I'm down 5-6 pounds but at a stand still now. (I've done dieting one time before but was at a halt 20 pounds down.) I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong and why nothing is moving since I'm exercising even more this time around and eating better. My general exercise is 50-55 minutes on the treadmill 20 minutes toning exercises. For dieting I'm hardly eating much my general day is: Toast (thin slice bread) peanut butter and a banana and some fruit. Lunch is Tuna Sandwich (thin slice bread) and blue berries. And afternoon snack is veggies (celery, cucumber and cherry tomatos) and my supper varies but usually is meat with 1 cup minute long rice. I'm not quite sure what else I can do other than cutting my bread?

And if so what would everyone recommend to replace it with? I've heard tortillias but just not sure which ones to go with? Any help would be amazing as I have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Replies

• arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    First of all, 5-6 pounds in a month is really great, healthy progress. You say you've stalled, how long are we talking? Weight loss isn't linear and you can't always expect your weight to go down like clockwork. A plateau or stall is generally described as around 6 weeks with no loss. Be patient, log accurately, eat to the calories MFP gives you, and you will keep losing. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    your down 5-6 pounds in a month and say your at a standstill?
  • hollybuckley12
    hollybuckley12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help. I've been stuck on this weight for about 2-3 weeks. I joined weightwatchers and lost the first amount of weight like it nothing and then it stopped. I was loosing inches but not that has stopped as well. I thought about cutting out my toning exercises just to see if that's the problem? I've been keep track of my points on weightwatchers and always below the amount given to me and always above my fitness points. Would cutting my bread out help? Does anybody have recommendations for tortillias?
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would weigh my food with a food scale and make sure I am sticking to the calories MFP suggests.
  • hollybuckley12
    hollybuckley12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I lost the first 5-6 pounds in the first couple weeks it's likely just water weight but then been on a standstill for 2-3 weeks. I've been dieting and exercising for close to 6 weeks. I should of specified more sorry.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Tortillas won't help. They are usually higher calorie than bread, made with white flour and lard.

Keep doing what you are doing. The initial weight loss was probably mostly water. Over the next couple of weeks you probably began losing fat. With the exercise, you may be retaining some water, but that isn't fat, so don't worry about it. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning, you will lose weight.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Tortillas won't help. They are usually higher calorie than bread, made with white flour and lard.

Keep doing what you are doing. The initial weight loss was probably mostly water. Over the next couple of weeks you probably began losing fat. With the exercise, you may be retaining some water, but that isn't fat, so don't worry about it. If you are eating fewer calories than you are burning, you will lose weight.

I lost my first 50 pounds eating a whole lot of wraps. Nothing inherently wrong with tortilla
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

she can eat bread or tortillas if she wants. as long as it fits into her calories it doesnt matter what she eats.doesnt matter if its made with white flour/lard its not going to stall weight loss unless you are eating more than you burn