Drop sets...a simple explanation please

Options
I would be so grateful if someone could explain drop sets please. I have searched the inernet but I just don't seem to understand the term.

So, if I am doing chest press with 12kg dumbells, 4 reps of 10 how would that work?

I obviously start of with 12kg....but then what?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I often do a drop set on the last set of an exercise - I'll generally do amrap on the first weight, drop weight by 20-25%, amrap again, another drop to 50% of the initial weight and amrap again..
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just realised the program is saying double drop sets.

So if I start at 12kg for 4x10

I could (if I can manage it) do
    3x10 with the 12kg...and then if I start to struggle do
    1x10 with 10kg..?

Is that correct?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    to me a drop set is when you get to your max effort set and use all your energy, Then you rest and take off some weight and do another set until you can't move and repeat if a few more times if you want.
    when i do drop sets i usually do them to failure
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »

1x10 with 10kg..?

Is that correct?

Double drop is two drops (from my understanding), so on your fourth set, I'd do amrap with 12kg (if you get 11 or 12 don't stress - you should probably do heavier if you can though), drop to 9/10kg straight away and do amrap, then drop to 6/7kg straight away and do amrap. You could do the double drop every set I guess, but I just use them on the last set to kill myself :p
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

1x10 with 10kg..?

Is that correct?

Double drop I would take to mean you only drop weights twice from your original start weight.
    Which program are you doing?
    Are you sure the program is asking for multiple sets at each weight? The common method is one set to failure at each weight then drop.

Beware that drops sets can (or should!) build a lot of fatigue so you would normally do them at the end of your workout and you may have recovery issues affecting your next workout.

My son used my as a guinea pig when he did his PT training and I did 10 drops to failure. Think he hates me....
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

1x10 with 10kg..?

Is that correct?

Double drop I would take to mean you only drop weights twice from your original start weight.
    Which program are you doing?
    Are you sure the program is asking for multiple sets at each weight? The common method is one set to failure at each weight then drop.

Beware that drops sets can (or should!) build a lot of fatigue so you would normally do them at the end of your workout and you may have recovery issues affecting your next workout.

My son used my as a guinea pig when he did his PT training and I did 10 drops to failure. Think he hates me....

Funny!......you know, your not making these drop sets sound appealing
  • sewiggle
    sewiggle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if drop sets are different to normal sets but I always start with say 25kg and do 20, then go to 30kg and drop to 15, then 35kg and drop to 12 and then 40kg and do 10. Final go is back to lightest weight, 25kg and do as many as you can. Take a 1 to 2 minute rest between each set. This is what my PT advised me to do.