Thyroid issues.

Options
I had part of my Thyroid removed last year. Since then I have put on 15lbs. I had my hormones tested and it showed that they were off.I guess this would explain why I put on so much weight so quickly when I have not changed my diet. I am going to see an endocrinologist soon.

My question is that has anyone found a certain type of diet i.e low carb, high protein, is more helpful with thyroid issues. I will speak with the doctor too. But I like personal experiences

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I'm Hypothyroid myself, I try to eat low carb/low GI diet and I have managed to lose nearly 16kg in just over a year. It is incredibly slow and can be really frustrating but I have accepted that that is the way it is going to be.

Weirdly enough if you go on the thyroid forums you will find weight loss is not an one diet fits all with hypothyroidism.

Be aware that if you are not on enough thyroid medication you can diet until you're blue in the face but won't lose a pound, been there done that and thats even worse.
  • pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks
    It has been really weird. Growing up I never had a weight issue. I was never one to enjoy eating so I "ate to live" (everyone accused me of being anorexic even though I was a healthy weight). Then I started pain meds and I started to put on some weight. Then I had half my thyroid taken out and WOW 15 lbs in a year!! When I was not really eating differently. I was just shocked!! I have seemed to stop gaining at least. I am making an appointment with an endo today and we will see what they say.

I am beyond frustrated. We have a lot of doctor appointments in this family and I really just don't have time for this crap. LOL