weight fluctuations help please

Options
Sorry if this has been covered but couldn't find what I needed to know. Can someone please tell me what is considered normal fluctuations? I have a number of health problems which affect my ability to lose weight but am determined to do it. However at my weigh in last Saturday it said I had gained 2lbs, 3days later I had lost 6lbs based on the previous days weight. Now I know weighing daily is not necessarily good but I am trying to discover why my meds say, "may cause weight gain" & am trying to assess if it is because they make you retain water, inhibit digestion etc then I can address those issues as I have no problem sticking to my calorie limit & or fat intake. Very grateful for input as this may help all those who think they cannot lose weight due to poor health. Thanks

Replies

• MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey!

I do not weigh myself everyday, I do it once a week sometimes every two weeks it depends on when my TOM comes. Also it is important to weigh yourself at the same time everytime! I do it in the morning just after I go to the bathroom and after I wake up! Weigh Fluctuations are about 2 lbs a day.

Good Luck!
  • kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week. 2 lbs I believe is normal. It depends on you water and with you having additional health issues it maybe more depending what they are. Don't sweat it. I don't depend on the scale. I measure myself also. So I can see the inchs. Muscle weights more than fat. I could be gaining muscle weight and losing fat weight but the scale will not always show that. The measurements will.
  • taalibahdenise
    Options
    when you weigh yourself on a daily basis, the scale (digital) gets out of whack. You have to weigh yourself three times, usually the third time is the most accurate -- you could weigh yourself five times after that and it will still be the same. Most likely the 6lbs was phantom...due to the scale being used constantly.
  • MikeRay
    MikeRay Posts: 47
    Options
    You need to weigh yourself once a week. It is very important to weigh at the same time, wearing the something, on the same scale. Your weight can vary as much as 2 pounds per day with water retention.
    Hope this helps
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    when you weigh yourself on a daily basis, the scale (digital) gets out of whack. You have to weigh yourself three times, usually the third time is the most accurate -- you could weigh yourself five times after that and it will still be the same. Most likely the 6lbs was phantom...due to the scale being used constantly.

i agree with this, as i weigh myself everyday and yesterday when i weighed it told me i had lost 4lb, i couldnt believe it so stepped off and then back on again and only showed 2lb loss, done same thing again on - off and 2lb lost, this is what i went with, sometime it does take 3 - 4 times on and off to get the same numbers.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    When I was larger I've seen mine flucuate by 5 points on some days. But now, on average it goes up and down by about 2-3lbs. Throughout the day.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Interesting what you say about the scales but mine seem to be consistent even if I weigh myself several times in the morning. Certainly do hope I have actually lost 6lbs as has been 5 weeks but the 2 or 3 lbs fluctuation seems to suggest that part of my problem may be excessive water retention. Will be interested to see what happens this week as have had to cut down my swimming regime due to health did I read somewhere that exercise may increase water retention too? Thanks for the help.