Low calorie low carb

Options
Is there cereal out there for this eating plan

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Cereal, by definition, contains grains. So no, not really, though you can make your own using pork rinds, cinnamon, butter, and Erythritol. Search ruled.me cereal
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I vaguely recall making a concoction like French toast out of those ingredients (I'm sure some eggs had to be involved) at one point while I was low carbing. I remember it being pretty tasty even though the combo sounds vile on the face of it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No, not really. Grains are not a good low carb breakfast food but that doesn't mean you necessarily can't eat cereal. A cup of cereal (28g) is roughly 25g of carbs and about 100 calories according to google. What's your carb limit?

If your carb limit is more moderate you might be able to fit a small bowl of cereal in fairly easily. A more common approach to low carb would be something like eggs and bacon for breakfast and saving the majority of your carbs for vegetables, nuts, berries, cheeses and the like. But if cereal is your thing and will make your diet enjoyable fit it in - sustainability is key for long term success.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I make my own and I love it. Walnuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How low calorie are we talking here?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you base it on seeds and nuts it can be lower carb. The serving sizes tend to be very small and the cereal is expensive if you buy it. I was given Holy Crap in my stocking at Xmas once. It was tasty but the serving size was about a quarter cup. Some low careers go with oatmeal - slower cooked or steel cut - but you need to keep serving size down to keep it lower carb.

If you are keto, then it gets hard to use cereal at all.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    Not a thing I'd choose to eat if I wanted lower carbs and calories. Unless it's like beef jerky with milk in a bowl.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Not a thing I'd choose to eat if I wanted lower carbs and calories. Unless it's like beef jerky with milk in a bowl.

I would totally do that if I could find unsalted jerky. Beef and milk sounds like eating chicken with eggs. It's apex predator as hell. "I'm gonna eat you, your unborn, AND the stuff you were gonna feed to them."
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I would totally do that if I could find unsalted jerky. Beef and milk sounds like eating chicken with eggs. It's apex predator as hell. "I'm gonna eat you, your unborn, AND the stuff you were gonna feed to them."

lmao.

Unsalted jerky tho? Can't imagine. Hmm...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have found MFP. Why don't you use it to build up an eating plan of foods you want to eat that suit your needs, instead of looking for random foods to fit a random food plan?