Equal or out of line?

Options
Broad stroke: Person A makes Person B feel insecure about their body. Person B does the same back to A.

Detailed: A long-time friend of mine (not on MFP) told me I'm skinny AF but would be hot once I weighed 210 lbs. I told her that's a lot of weight, and I'll gain 40 when she loses 40.

Fair game or did I go too far? I kind of feel bad either way.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    'Friend'? Yeah right :laugh:
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you think you offended her then apologize. If you're truly friends, nonsense like that doesn't matter in the great scheme of things.

Edit: btw, I just caught myself and I apologize for calling it "nonsense". If it's important to you, it's not nonsense and obviously it matters to you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Only a person in this so called 'friendship' knows how far you can take things.. if you feel bad about what you said, then surely this was taken too far.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Lol. Yeah, you guys are right and I think I knew it. Thanks for the feedback.

Especially you, @Motorsheen. Very insightful and helpful. Thanks for contributing.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Fair, but childish. Perhaps you should have just invited this friend to the gym instead. If people get an invite to change when they criticize they stop criticizing.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Depends on the people. Some friends are cool enough to have that conversation. I think most people are cry babies though and can't handle hearing that. I think you were fine. Why does everyone have to pu$$yfoot around?
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Here's the thing. You are a really handsome guy. And thinking like a man... such comments only bother men a little. But I don't know how you processed it.

However, women who need to lose 40 are in constant anxiety about it. So your comment probably punched her more.

Best thing is to apologize to each other and move on.

I disagree you are skinny, cap. You have one of the best physiques on the site.

Says who? I was never in constant anxiety about my weight and I needed to lose about 60. Don't try to pigeon hole all of us please.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I agree with @LiftingRiot ...nothing wrong with being blunt. Sometimes these conversations fuel the fire to get on the right track. But maybe both of you are just comfortable as you are.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Well if she can say you're skinny and need to gain 40 lbs then surely she can handle being told she needs to drop 40. And if this came from a place of jealousy then she really needed the burn back just to learn that you can not go around talking to people like that... I don't care if you're skinny or fat, body shaming just aint right.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I think it was a dumb conversation. She brought it on herself but sometimes u need to hold back in that situation. I'd apologize. She should apologize to u as well
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    She probably just wants you to look like "a regular civilian" so she fits in with you.

Unless you know her feelings are really hurt, I'd let it slide and move on. Since you meant what you said, it's kinda a faux apology.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    Broad stroke: Person A makes Person B feel insecure about their body. Person B does the same back to A.

Detailed: A long-time friend of mine (not on MFP) told me I'm skinny AF but would be hot once I weighed 210 lbs. I told her that's a lot of weight, and I'll gain 40 when she loses 40.

Do you usually talk to each other this way? It would be too far with me and my friends but not some other people.
    If you think you went to far and feel bad then yes you should apologize.
  • Asemahle
    Asemahle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »

Lmao, perfect reply man.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Seems fair to me. I'd bring it up next time and tell her you're sorry if you offended her if it bothers you that much though.