Steak weight help

Options
Hey,

So I had steak for dinner, weighed it raw assuming I would eat it all and... didn't. If I want to be massively pedantic and weight the leftovers to subtract, do I need to adjust in some way? I'm getting really turned around with the maths between raw and cooked weight as I'm assuming some weight is lost in the cooking process. Halp!

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Personally I just weigh it raw in grams and if I don't eat it all ..I just leave it as the original raw weight....I have lost 91 lbs in 2 years doing that ...so no need to complicate things ....Wishing you much success :)
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Use the raw weight(wet or dry) if you're not using any form of Suspended Cooking. With most meats, after cooking for desired time or to the desired temperature, adding the liquids back over and into the meat make for a better more enjoyable result.
  • leoniemcdee
    leoniemcdee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to limit my meat intake (for non-weight related reasons) so my other half has already claimed it for his lunch tomorrow. I'll just leave it and have a bit of an extra deficit today. Thanks all!
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just estimate what % of it you ate. If you ate 3/4 of 8oz, just do 8oz and 3/4th of a serving.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That's why I weigh mine cooked and use the corresponding entries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just take off half or whatever seems to be left (or a bit less so I'm sure I'm not underestimating).

Steak is a total estimate anyway, it will always depend on how much fat is on your specific piece. Don't sweat it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    since you probably did not also weigh the cooked steak, you can estimate about how much you ate of it and adjust your entry. Such as if you ate about 3/4 of it.

If you're going to eat the rest for another meal, estimate and know that it all balances out in the end. Such as if you logged 2/3 for dinner and 1/3 for lunch the next day, it does not really matter if it should have been .6 and .4. The total over the 2 meals is correct.