Carbs vs. Protien

Options
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how I can change the amts of carbs and protien grams I eat everyday? I want to lower my carbs and raise my protiens some.

Thanks!

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You can make some simple swaps, like instead of pretzels have a handful of almonds. Add some turkey sausage to breakfast, beans to salads, peanut butter on celery. Unsweetened soy milk has a good amount of protein and less carbs than regular milk (but it can vary between brands and how they are processed). Greek yogurt is higher in protein than regular.

Switch out white bread for whole grain whole wheat, that has more protein in it. Quinoa is a good whole grain with a lot of protein. Read labels to avoid added sugar. You can use lettuce instead of bread also to make things like turkey roll-ups.

And aim for more veggies. Some fruits are high in sugar too, so just see how your body responds to them. But berries tend to be lower in sugar compared to things like pineapple or oranges.

Those are just a few suggestions.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Do you mean how to physically change the ratios within MFP or how to change them when you eat?

If you want to change the settings of your diary, click the "MY HOME" tab and then click "GOALS." From there, click edit...then choose 'custom'...you can change the percentages there.

If you want to change your eating habits....I try to pair a complex carb with a protein at every meal...please feel free to look at my diary as it's public.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Some examples of 'meals' that I typically eat:

Breakfast:

Organic oats with cinnamon and flax seed (my carb) and egg beaters/scrambled egg (my protein)
    Organic oats with cinnamon and flax seed (carb) and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (protein)
    Egg sandwhich--whole gain english muffin (carb) topped with cheese and egg (protein)
    Breakfast wrap--whole grain wrap (carb and fiber!) filled with scrambled egg, morningstar breakfast sausage, onions, peppers (proteins and some carbs)

Lunch
    Lunch wrap--whole grain wrap (carb) filled with 4 oz. chicken breast (protein), romaine lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
    Salad--Romaine lettuce topped with mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, and other veggies (my carbs) and grilled shrimp, chicken breast, tempeh (the protein)
    Lean burger--turkey, chicken, beef (the protein) on a Arnold sandwich thin (carb), topped with onion, tomato, lettuce, mustard

Dinner
    Steamed, seasoned veggies (carb) with protein (chicken breast, fish (salmon, tuna steak, etc.), shrimp, scallops, etc.
    Quinoa or Couscous or Rice (carb--though the quinoa has 7 g protein), topped with shrimp (or chicken or whatever protein) sauteed with veggies

Snacks
    Fage 0% yogurt (20 g protein) mixed with berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
    SHAKEOLOGY!! (balanced protein/carbs--18 of each per 140 calorie serving)
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    good question. thx tropical kitty.
    for some reason i cant find quinoa but i do have bulgur wheat! i think that has some protein..
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    good question. thx tropical kitty.
    for some reason i cant find quinoa but i do have bulgur wheat! i think that has some protein..

It's usually in the organic section of the grocery store. I've been seeing it in a turqoise box. Looks like little teeny balls. Or you can go to Whole Foods and get it in the loose/bulk aisle. Sometimes it's in the gluten free section of the grocery store, if they are set up that way.

PS - if you get it (or anyone else) make sure you wash it first, it has a residue on it that you should get off of it.
  • sunqween21
    sunqween21 Posts: 19
    Options
    I was wondering how to change it in MFP, not my diet. Sorry about that :)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I was wondering how to change it in MFP, not my diet. Sorry about that :)

Since you're new, if you run into other questions about how to use the site, there is a section in the forum for technical support that may help you with settings and other misc things on here. :)