Gardeners?

Options
FreyasRebirth
FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
Yes, I realize it is February. And I live in Michigan. But I'm excited for the beginning of gardening season! I'm container/sq ft gardening because my yard is teeny tiny. My original 4x4 vegetable bed is being overtaken by strawberry plants that I don't really have the heart to cull. I figure I'll just make a new one. I also have two big round containers that I used for tomatoes (which overwhelmed me) and carrots (which, uh, I was never able to access under the massive tomato plants).

Replies

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Google trellis gardens (or something similar), you can garden in buckets but train the plants to vine up the trellis. I've never tried it personally, but my neighbor did this with tomato and cucumber plants.

We plant the same stuff each year: romaine lettuce, onions, a variety of peppers, basil, cilantro and tomatoes. Last year we tried green beans but they failed. Carrots did pretty well.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think vertical gardening brings up a good number of results, if anyone else is reading along. Some cucumber and squash varieties can be trained to grow upward instead of outward.

I was thinking of at least doing peas along the side of my porch. I know my kids will eat those. I'm not so sure about squashes but I could probably recycle my tomato cages for cucumbers.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yes! My favorite are jalapeños though it seems some years they end up very mild and other years crazy hot.

I like growing bell peppers, but some years are low yielding and other years we get a bumper crop.

We grow lots of basil for pesto.

Our rosemary has turned into a crazy big bush, not sure what to do with it...

I love green beans, but the last few years they did not do well.

We always do 2 cherry tomato plants and I'm constantly giving them away.

1 cucumber plant yields enough for me. I just don't like cucumbers that much! We also trellis the cucumber to get it to grow up instead of letting it take over the garden, which it would! We don't grow squash because it takes up too much space.

• GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I think vertical gardening brings up a good number of results, if anyone else is reading along. Some cucumber and squash varieties can be trained to grow upward instead of outward.

I was thinking of at least doing peas along the side of my porch. I know my kids will eat those. I'm not so sure about squashes but I could probably recycle my tomato cages for cucumbers.

This is what I meant, thank you!!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about buying baobab seeds and experimenting with them, e.g. bonsai baobab