Any one else suffer with weight gain when taking pain pills?

Options
I damaged my shoulder/neck last week and the doctor has prescribed me some strong painkillers (neproxen)
Even though I've been following my low calorie days (non-training) I have gained almost 3kg in a week. I feel rotten, look bloated and I'm struggling with bowel movements. And I'm very very gassy.
Is this normal?
I'm losing my mind as I honestly thought weight would drop off me as my nutritionist has slowly dropped my calories to 1650 when I was on nearly 2200 when I started with her 6 weeks ago- So not training, eating low and gaining weight.
The only thing I can think of is my body is retaining through the injury, or else I'm undereating?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're bloated and constipated then that answers your question...

under eating wouldn't cause you to gain weight.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    NSAIDS like naproxen can cause water retention as they can have some impact on renal function. They do have some GI impact as they inhibit the COX receptors (to varying degrees depending on the generation of drug) which are involved with digestion.

Opiate drugs are more likely to cause constipation, bloating etc.

Also a decrease in activity can of course contribute to your calorie output.

My suggestion would be to speak with the doctor prescribing the painkillers about any side effects you are experiencing as they may be above to offer alternatives or ways to manage side effects.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Addit: you could also have extra water on board as a result of inflammation at the injury site.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, pain pills royally mess up my digestive system. I had to take a laxative to go after about 4 days of not going at all. NOT fun! Luckily it wasn't ACTUAL weight gain though, just bloating and constipation.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Naproxen isn't a pain killer. It's just an anti-inflammatory.

The weight gain could be part of the healing process. Most likely it's the back-up, though. You can try an otc laxative, but if it doesn't help in a day or two, call the doc and ask for advice.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Naproxen is the generic name for the trade name Aleve, only stronger dosage when prescribed. I was on it for years, until it didnt work anymore, and got bumped up to opioids. Didnt affect weight loss - 100 lbs down since October 2015
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always retain water for a few days whenever I have to take any pain relievers. It is not fat just water so I have learned to not worry about it. I will get a drop in weight in a few days.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    There are other posters who have also complained about water retention when using just ibuprofen, too.