Perils of vacation. Stress or not?

Options
Going no away for 5 days to Disney with family coming off me losing 14 pounds and being right where I want.

That said trying to eat clean every meal is going to be hard. I am bringing some nuts and protein bars with me so I don't snack. But how much leeway can I give myself for meals? I don't want to eat crap but I don't want to stress over everything I order. I'm told there will be a ton of walking. So not sure what to do.

Thanks

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go.

enjoy.

dont worry about it.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Don't go crazy on the junk food and alcohol, eat and drink in moderation and you'll be fine. Remember, you're going to do LOTS of walking in Disney which will make up for reasonable indulgences. Now, go have fun!

P.S. Hug Pooh for me... I love Pooh!
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Went to Universal in October, lots of walking. I also took snacks to avoid the park kiosks, that's for the kids. Be conscientious about what you order, but don't stress over it. Have fun with the family and jump back into your routine when you get home.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs at Disney on my last trip. I ate lunch and dinner out every day for 7 days. Usually I gain weight there because I go "hog wild." This time I made sure that I did not overeat--not one time. Ate a reasonable amount of food. I also had one Mickey Ice Cream bar the whole trip instead of one per day.

Additionally, there are several rides that I do not ride. When my family was in line for those, I would walk REALLY fast to another ride across the park, get fastpasses, and then walk back. As fast as I could. I did that a lot. I think that was a big help.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't go completely over the top if you think you'll feel guilty or get way off track. Just make sensible choices and track the best you can. And keep in mind that eating out will most likely result in water weight gain just because of all the added sodium in restaurant meals. With all that walking you do in Disney, it'll most likely come right back off after a few days of coming home. Have fun!! Life's too short.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I enjoy myself on vacation. I don't think I've ever gained weight on vacation because I'm always doing something. I went to Colombia in May and enjoyed all of the local fare (part of a good vacation for me) and drank quite a bit of beer...I lost 3 Lbs namely because we were walking a ton and seeing the sites.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink the things you actually like.
    Don't eat until you're stuffed, or eat things that you don't actually love that are total calorie bombs.
    Walk lots.

And then see where you land. Odds are, if you respect your appetite, you'll be fine.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Enjoy vacation. Don't stress about food. Bringing your own snacks and bottled water to the parks won't just help save waist line but will also help save your wallet.

Sit and enjoy meal service even in the parks. The restaurant food is above and beyond better than the fast food kiosks. Take advantage of Disney Dining preferred seating and plan ahead for lunch and dinner by making a reservation. I worked in Disney World Orlando fine dining and the chef's there are very accommodating. Don't be afraid of making special requests.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never been to Disney but my experience with vacation is that I tend to eat less than normal because I snack less. I find it helps to go into every meal with a plan. It helps to know if I'm going to have dessert before I fill up on other stuff.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When is vacation NOT a vacation?
    When you worry about this type of stuff.

Most people lose weight on vacation if they travel since Neat is higher and stress is lower.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great insights.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Do active things. Eat and drink what you want while practicing the portion control you learned as you lost weight. Share treats like ice cream and desserts with your family. Drink lots of water. Enjoy your vacation.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" has nothing to do with calorie intake.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I did/do at least 20'000 steps most days while in Orlando at the parks. I go for two weeks typically and last year, I was pretty free with what I ate (though didn't eat for the sake of eating) and only gained 2lbs. That I can totally live with.

I'm going again in April and it will be the same again. Not worry about what I'm eating, enjoy the food as it's part of the whole experience (cronut in Epcot anyone!?) and undo any damage fairly quickly when I get back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am headed to vacation in a couple days too...I look at it like this...

6 days of putting whatever the hell I want in my mouth..I will eat what I want and drink what I want knowing full well that this is not normal life and that I won't be worrying about it at all.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Just chill out, eat like you have some damned sense, and enjoy the vacation. If you're going to take stress with you (or create it in this case), you'd be better off just not going.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    on this note this is why this has to be a "lifestyle" not a diet. You need to be able to live life and still lose or maintain and not stress over it too much if you do gain a bit...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    on this note this is why this has to be a "lifestyle" not a diet. You need to be able to live life and still lose or maintain and not stress over it too much if you do gain a bit...

Yup. I can't imagine going to Disney and not indulging, it's part of the experience in my opinion. It's not a lifetime, it's one holiday.