Rewards

13»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I'm intrinsically motivated, so just knowing that I succeeded in a goal is hugely satisfying to me. Outside rewards are not necessary. However, if I happen to get some sort of bonus for a job well done, I won't refuse it. I think people should use whatever rewards system they want. To each her/his own! :D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Rewards for losing weight seems like getting a trophy for participating in sports.

I think it would be a better comparison to say that rewards for simply starting a diet but not losing any weight on it might seem like getting a participation trophy. But these people aren't just "participating." They are actually achieving their measurable goals. In real life, when people achieve goals they receive rewards. You wouldn't produce results at work if there was no reward, right? Just because you and I don't want/need a reward for achieving a personal goal, doesn't mean others have to share our point of view. Some of us need intrinsic rewards and others value extrinsic rewards. Some like a mix of rewards. No big deal. It's OK to reward oneself for a job well done.

Not sure why that comment was flagged as abuse, though. It's just this dude's opinion. It's not that heinous... :|
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    I set up a reward system for myself because plans, spreadsheets, and rewards are motivational to me. And everyone should do what works best for them. The first couple of mini goals are for larger weight loss amounts, and then the milestones get smaller because I know the pounds typically come off quickly at first and then more slowly as you go. My rewards are mostly things I will need anyway (new cross-training shoes, new slacks for work once I drop below a certain weight/size). But, one of my rewards is a mani/pedi. I also find monetary prizes very motivational and fun. So, I joined a weight loss contest at work, and I joined a diet bet online. The online bet is a 1 month short term game, ending March 1 with an unknown prize amount if I achieve my goal. The workplace contest is a 12 week game ending April 10th, with a net prize of $500 to the winner! Woot, woot! That money is mine! :smiley: Anyway, I will still have quite a bit to lose, so I will continue on my own after that. My longer term goal that I have set up for myself is spread out over a year with mini goals quarterly. And, I will reevaluate after that to decide if I want to lose more or begin maintenance.
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    This sounds silly, but I really want to give myself a spa vacation. Maybe I'll research over the next few months and set this as my halfway goal and another at my full goal?
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    nounuvc2hx5i.jpg

I made this chart! It's not the end all but it's a good reminder!!
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    The rewards I've set for myself involve doing things that I couldn't do at my starting weight. For example, once I hit Onederland, I'm going to look into booking a donkey ride down into the Grand Canyon, because that has a weight limit and I literally couldn't do it before due to my weight.