What has your diet taught you about yourself?

Options
This is my third week officially logging and dieting; I've spent the past several months adjusting my diet to include more whole and home cooked things, trying to cut out or cut back on various things.

I've found out that I don't really need meat. I never set out to be a vegetarian (wouldn't call myself one now) but I rarely cook with meat. Now if I do eat out the meatless options seem so much more appetizing...

I do, however, live for cheese, which is a real shame because I've noticed a trend of dairy making me feel ill. Haven't seen a doctor yet, but I don't eat an abundance of dairy any more (cut cream out of my coffee, cut out my 2 weekly pints of Halo Top, stopped eating yogurt for breakfast in favor of smoothies or savory dishes, have stayed away from pizza, cheese fries, etc. for obvious reasons...) and the past two times I've consumed something milk based my stomach turned in on itself within 20 minutes. Conferred with my lactose intolerant friend and she very sadly recommended I get confirmation, but it sounds like lactose isn't my friend, either.

Besides teaching me things about my digestive system, I've learned by cooking and trying new recipes that I like things to be colorful, small-portioned, varied, and potent. I also start with a vision in mind of how I want something to be, do a bit of research, but rely mostly on my own problem solving skills to bring it to fruition. I like goals that require a high number of small steps, rather than things that require long-haul single-mindedness. Now I'm thinking of ways to apply this to career, productivity, and organization! Even a simple as my wardrobe... I always seem to purchase tailored, single-color pieces, trying to opt for flattering, timeless, classic, or elegant, when I really love bright, bold colors, different prints, versatile pieces, layers, and textures. That's what makes me happy, but my wardrobe is full of black dresses!

I think it's interesting when you try to take control of one part of your life (like health) you realize how you've been self-defeating in other areas, too. Has your diet taught you anything about yourself?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    That I'm happier when I'm active.
    That I actually like cooking.
    That I'll probably always be a bit chubby because there's just no way I'll stop eating dessert. I'm still working on accepting that.
    That having to restrict what I eat doesn't always make me pleasant to be around, unfortunately. I will always love food and I feel like I'm missing a part of me when I have to watch what I eat all the time.
    That apparently my maintenance is higher now than when I was 75 lbs heavier, but I'm also so much hungrier that I could never go back to that diet either.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I still eat pretty similar to what I ate back when I was 50lbs heavier, I've just learned how CICO works and now eat all the foods I like in the correct calorie amounts. Otherwise things are same old, same old, which goes a long way to making this whole thing sustainable for the next 45 or so years :)
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My diet has taught me that no matter what i look like on the outside... fat... skinny... that i was always the same person on the inside, I have to let go of how horrible i was treated as a fat person and build up that person who was trapped inside a scared shy and shamed shell for 29 years. I have to remind myself that just because people told me i was a waste of life and that i should commit suicide because of my weight that those comments are not a definition of who i am. I am young and i need to let the loving, caring, good person i always was shine now and make that who i am all the time and not just because of my body size.

Those people were so wrong! You are the same person and worth treating kindly, both the food you put in your body and the thoughts, words, etc. Your goals are beautiful, and fitness has so little to do with them! Go girl.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    That I actually like food that is good for me (most times) and that controlling what I eat isn't as hard as I thought. And that being active alone will not help me get to my goal. I also agree with someone earlier that I will never be a thin person, but that as long as I am healthier I should be happy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1. I like bread/pasta/etc but have no problem cutting back on them to reduce calories.
    2. I love fresh vegetables and fruit but could never give up meat.
    3. There are many foods I love that I'd rather not have at all than have in small quantities.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea for a thread.

I think that my entire weight loss process has taught me that I have a lot of willpower--both the power to resist doing something that doesn't fit into my plan, like eating an entire package of cookies, and the power to make myself do the routines I want.

I've learned that I do not need as much food as I used to eat.

I've also learned that I'm uninterested in giving up foods that make me happy. I'm still going to have my chocolate every day, but now I fit it into my calorie budget.

I never expected that I would completely change both my hair and clothing style after I lost weight, but that definitely happened.

I've learned that I really can't go out to eat on a regular basis and expect to stay within my calories or macros. If you don't cook it yourself, you don't know what's in it.

I've learned that I have to prioritize working out. It will not happen if I don't make time for it, put it on the schedule, and plan for it.

I've learned that being really short means even my maintenance calorie budget won't be very high :(
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    That sugar and starchy carbs throw my blood sugar way out of whack and make me feel sick. I thought it was normal to shake all the time till I switched up my macros and suddenly felt human again. Not to say I never have them anymore, but I'm starting to learn how to manage their timing and quantity.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    This is a great idea for a thread.

I think that my entire weight loss process has taught me that I have a lot of willpower--both the power to resist doing something that doesn't fit into my plan, like eating an entire package of cookies, and the power to make myself do the routines I want.

I've learned that I do not need as much food as I used to eat.

I've also learned that I'm uninterested in giving up foods that make me happy. I'm still going to have my chocolate every day, but now I fit it into my calorie budget.

I never expected that I would completely change both my hair and clothing style after I lost weight, but that definitely happened.

I've learned that I really can't go out to eat on a regular basis and expect to stay within my calories or macros. If you don't cook it yourself, you don't know what's in it.

I've learned that I have to prioritize working out. It will not happen if I don't make time for it, put it on the schedule, and plan for it.

I've learned that being really short means even my maintenance calorie budget won't be very high :(

Thanks! It's so interesting to hear what people derive from journeys like this. It really does affect every area of your life, but instead of feeling like just changing, you feel like you're meeting yourself for the first time.

I love that you use the word prioritize. Yes, you gotta prioritize exercise, but you can also prioritize chocolate, and in the end, you're just prioritizing happiness! (:
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That I can live without sweets. That the more components there are to a meal, for me the better, example if breakfast is a blueberry muffin with nuts baked in its boring....but blueberry muffin with a baggie of nuts and some milk and fruit...Awesome! It is satisfying to me to pull out all the components and eat it all even though it does not add up to much.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Eating normally just feels better. :)

I've spent most of my life eating moderate quantities of veggies, fruit, whole grains, lean meats, and a bit of dairy ... and that just feels right.

Go off my diet, and that's when my digestive system gets all messed up and my gallbladder starts acting up.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    That the 20 years I spent yoyo dieting and failing and getting bigger and bigger and more and more depressed were not my fault. What I was eating was literally setting me up to fail.
  • Ploofs
    Ploofs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've realised that I'm a huge social eater. I'm fine by myself but when I bring a friend I tend to eat a -lot- more :(
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I learned that I have more self control than I think I do, but that if I don't treat myself occasionally, I will binge for several days and it's not pretty. Honestly I just need to maintain a healthy balance and I have been so much happier.

I also learned that I LOVE to cook. Seriously a new passion for me. So far nothing crazy yet, but it is so fun picking out a new recipe and trying it out! It brings me joy finding a recipe swap for something that I love, but lower calories (my biggest successes have been a skinny cheeseburger casserole and a skinny pumpkin spice latte).