Calculator for estimating calories burnt walking per mile/km?

Options
The calculators for estimating calories burnt whilst walking that I've found so far, seem to be based on time. I'm trying to estimate calories burnt of steps taken throughout an entire day. Anyone know where I'll find a good calculator for this, please?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    .63 x body weight for each mile.

For steps throughout the day, your best bet is an activity tracker like a fitbit...I don't think any calculator you find online is going to be particularly accurate for steps.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

For steps throughout the day, your best bet is an activity tracker like a fitbit...I don't think any calculator you find online is going to be particularly accurate for steps.

Thanks for this equation, it'll help.

I do have an activity tracker, (not a Fitbit, but a cheaper one that does a similar job) and a calorie tracking pedometer, but I'm pretty sure both wildly overestimate calories burnt and I know they underestimate the number of steps I take by 20%. For this reason, I didn't want to rely on them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »

I do have an activity tracker, (not a Fitbit, but a cheaper one that does a similar job) and a calorie tracking pedometer, but I'm pretty sure both wildly overestimate calories burnt and I know they underestimate the number of steps I take by 20%. For this reason, I didn't want to rely on them.

keep in mind that the formula assumes you are walking 3-4 MPH.
  • tar2323
    Options

Okay, will do. The treadmill walks I do are at 5.5kph. General round the house steps will be slower I expect. I'm not intending to eat them all back anyway, so even applying that equation to treadmill walks only should give me plenty to work on. Thanks again.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

actually the .63 factor is for running, for walling it's the same formula but using .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Okay, will do. The treadmill walks I do are at 5.5kph. General round the house steps will be slower I expect. I'm not intending to eat them all back anyway, so even applying that equation to treadmill walks only should give me plenty to work on. Thanks again.

No you absolutely shouldn't eat back all of the calories because you already get "credit" for some steps in your stated activity level. An activity tracker syncs to your MFP account and you only get credit for steps above & beyond your stated activity level.

An alternative method is to change your activity level (to various levels) and record the difference in calorie goals as steps or exercise........

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options

actually the .63 factor is for running, for walling it's the same formula but using .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles

This is correct.
  • tar2323
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

No you absolutely shouldn't eat back all of the calories because you already get "credit" for some steps in your stated activity level. An activity tracker syncs to your MFP account and you only get credit for steps above & beyond your stated activity level.

An alternative method is to change your activity level (to various levels) and record the difference in calorie goals as steps or exercise........

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

My activity level is set to sedentary, because it was until I started all this extra walking. I prefer to keep it this way and track my steps on a daily basis, rather than allowing MFP to do it for me. That way I can account for days when I do fewer steps etc.

I do have an activity tracker, but it's not one that I can sync here. I'm quite happy working it out myself though, so that's fine.