How do you get back on track?

Options
I generally eat very healthy. I eat mostly high fat, lower carb (not low carb - I can't do it). I don't eat a lot of sugar because I'm trying to preserve pancreas function (I have long term pancreas damage). That said, we had a wild weekend, which rarely happens. I managed to keep things together on Saturday both calorie and sugar wise. Yesterday was a whole different story. We celebrated my DD's birthday and ate foods that we rarely eat (cake, ice cream, pizza, etc). So not only do I feel like crap because of eating all the processed stuff but I'm having a hard time today getting out of "eating" mode. I blew my calories by 1000 yesterday. I realize that's not even a pound but I feel like eating today when I KNOW my body doesn't need it. And I want sweets (which I am not use to having). How do y'all get back on track after a day/weekend where you ate more then usual and foods you don't usually eat? Do you have trouble going back to your normal, healthier habits? I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time getting back. I have a long ways to go weight loss wise so I feel like this is something I need to learn now. There will be other times in life when this is going to happen and I'm going to need to get back to "normal."

Any practical suggestions for getting my mind set and body back to my "normal?"

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I just draw a line in the sand. I did it after a holiday last year where I ate all the things and I did it after Christmas when I ate my grief. I set a date, or Monday or whatever and no excuses, the only person I'm going to let down is myself so just pull yourself together and do what you need to do. That's my little self pep talk. YMMV but so far so good!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My experience is that sticking to an overall healthier diet, where no single foods or types of food are banned or forbidden or seen as detrimental to health and wellbeing, but on continuums - based on my own research and experience, needs and preference - from "difficult to moderate" to "easy to moderate", from "more nutritionally dense" to "less nutritionally dense", and from "everyday food" to "occasional food", and letting myself eat whatever I want, but in responsible amounts, makes falling off track almost impossible, and subsequently having to get back on track, redundant.
  • cartersmom06
    cartersmom06 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also did this on the weekend!! Today is a brand new day to start over! I woke up this morning determined that I wouldn't let this upset bring me down and logged all the things I was going to eat today without going over on my calories. Feels really great to be back in control! You can do it, start fresh if you haven't already... and put yesterday behind you! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You do it the same way you did it before. You just make up your mind to do, and then do it. It's your choice.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My experience is that sticking to an overall healthier diet, where no single foods or types of food are banned or forbidden or seen as detrimental to health and wellbeing, but on continuums - based on my own research and experience, needs and preference - from "difficult to moderate" to "easy to moderate", from "more nutritionally dense" to "less nutritionally dense", and from "everyday food" to "occasional food", and letting myself eat whatever I want, but in responsible amounts, makes falling off track almost impossible, and subsequently having to get back on track, redundant.

Oh yes, this too, just to expand. I haven't eliminated anything, I still eat all the things I eat on holiday or ate at Christmas, so it's just a case of reducing those portions back down again. Largely this means I don't "fall off track" so much as make a conscious decision to be more free for a period and set a date when I stop. And it's never had a huge detrimental effect.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Been there! I always find the first few days after an off-plan day are the hardest! I crave all the junk!! Every time this happens, I buckle down for a few days and the cravings go away on their own.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am just getting over a cold and while I had it I decided screw this, I want comfort food! I wasn't to bad about it but its time to get back on track both food wise and with exercise....tomorrow.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Oh yes, this too, just to expand. I haven't eliminated anything, I still eat all the things I eat on holiday or ate at Christmas, so it's just a case of reducing those portions back down again. Largely this means I don't "fall off track" so much as make a conscious decision to be more free for a period and set a date when I stop. And it's never had a huge detrimental effect.

For the most part, I haven't eliminated anything that I like to eat. I just have to be careful with the sugar because of health reasons. I have significant pancreas damage from pancreatitis years ago so my diabetes risk is really high (aside from being overweight). Otherwise, I try not to eliminate things all together. We just ate a lot of stuff that isn't normally in our day. Like, we do pizza once in awhile (we don't particularly love it but enjoy it a couple of times a year), but it tends to be organic or made from scratch whereas yesterday we ordered take and bake. So the ingredients are a bit different. The cake was an amazing homemade chocolate cake from scratch but had a homemade buttercream frosting which was full of sugar. Etc. etc. So not really limiting things, but eating something I haven't had in a long time. I wonder if having that much sugar after having to watch it is just triggering a craving right now? As opposed to things like the pizza, etc.

I'll attempt the line in the sand with myself and see how that goes today. I think @VintageFeline said it the right way for me. It's the portion sizes. Like my stomach stretched or something and I still think I'm hungry. Looking back to yesterday I can see where I could have skipped one thing that I had and I still would have completely enjoyed myself but not had the calorie hit.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It helps to plan the days you're going to go over, so it's expected and not a "failure". So for example, I'm planning a nice Valentine's meal tomorrow night. I know it's going to be more calories than usual. I will be over on a daily basis. That's when I look at my weekly deficit (you can find it in the app under "nutrition") and will work to keep it where I need it on a week basis, rather than a day. The splurge meal is a planned MEAL, not a reward or a break. It's just part of my eating plan that is high calorie for one meal.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    It helps to plan the days you're going to go over, so it's expected and not a "failure". So for example, I'm planning a nice Valentine's meal tomorrow night. I know it's going to be more calories than usual. I will be over on a daily basis. That's when I look at my weekly deficit (you can find it in the app under "nutrition") and will work to keep it where I need it on a week basis, rather than a day. The splurge meal is a planned MEAL, not a reward or a break. It's just part of my eating plan that is high calorie for one meal.

I have not seen this part of the app. I will go looking for it. I tried to plan to "bank" calories for this weekend, but honestly, staying at 1500 is hard for me so I ended up not banking any. The weekly thing might be much easier though if it just means dropping to 1400 per day for a week or something. Thanks for the heads up. I'll go look for this.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You do it the same way you did it before. You just make up your mind to do, and then do it. It's your choice.

+1
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Been there! I always find the first few days after an off-plan day are the hardest! I crave all the junk!! Every time this happens, I buckle down for a few days and the cravings go away on their own.

SAME WITH ME! The first day and second are so hard for me to get back to my normal eating, but the cravings do go away on their own. Totally agreed!