Post menopausal - want to start strength/resistance training to reduce muscle loss, need advice

Options
I know I have to start some sort of strength/resistance training to avoid losing muscle mass (I'm 5 years post menopause and on estrogen-stripping medication).

I've had lots of good advice telling me this, but I really don't know where to start. It's not something I'm looking forward to doing particularly, so I don't want to start with more than I need to.

I'd like to know if resistance bands or dumb/bar bells are better, how heavy the bar bells should be, what areas should I be exercising etc.

People have said to Google YouTube vids and I'm happy to do this, but frankly I'm clueless. I don't know what's good/bad, suitable for my particular needs etc when it comes to videos. Can anyone recommend specific videos for a post-menopausal starter (preferably with a link), please, so I at least know I'm not going for the wrong thing.

Ta very much :)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Google stronglifts. There is also an app. You can start with dumbbells or barbells, depending on your strength. Another place to start could be something like 30 day shred. It depends on what you like.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's a book. :+1:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life. It's a book. :+1:

This or find a trainer who deals with your demographic. It's very difficult for us to assess what is good enough for you. bands may be more than adequate along with some simple body weight movements. Having access to dumbells or other weights is certainly a great option as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,297 Member
    Options
    Consider reading this thread:

Which lifting program is the best for you?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i started lifting at almost-49 and went with stronglifts. mark rippetoe's book starting strength was hugely helpful, as were the various youtube videos derived from it.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, everyone. I'll take a look at all these suggestions and see what feels like the best fit for now.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 61,way past menopause and already have osteoporosis (from long term medication ) I have just started the Stronglifts 5x5 programme and can recommend it - it's straightforward and you can start as light as you need to! Good luck!
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Strength training is good for strengthening your bones too. Lifting iron is awesome. I am 59, I have been lifting consistently for 6 years. I love it. Go to bodybuilding.com and look at circuits there. Hire a personal trainer (certified) for a few sessions for proper form. Check out Groupon. Many trainers use Groupon to look for new clients. You may be able to pick up 5-10 sessions for $99. Try it. You might be surprised and find that you love the Iron like I do. Good luck!