IIFYM and Keto?

Options
I currently follow IIFYM and have so since 2014 with great results. I just finished up a bulk and am starting my cut. I've been reading some of the keto threads and it piques my interest. I have done Atkins and South Beach before, but was miserable and part of that probably relates to my age at the time and lack of knowledge about nutrition. Now that I know more about nutrition I am curious if anyone else out there follows keto and IIFYM. I know they both follow macros, however IIFYM is obviously more about no restrictions where keto is about carb restriction. I've seen where people have transitioned from keto to IIFYM, but I just wonder if anyone has gone from IIFYM to keto and what your experience was like. TIA!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What is the motivation behind changing your way of eating? What do you think keto can offer than IIFYM can't? it sounds like IIFYM suits you well, why change it?

I ask these not because I'm against keto but because I'm not sure why you're changing what works for you.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My question is similar to the above. What made you miserable about Atkins and South Beach that you think will not be the same for Keto?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Atkins and South Beach were miserable because I was also following a 1200 calorie or less diet. Also alcorexia was an issue (21, partying too much and desire to be thin...hey we all make mistakes). So yes it was miserable.

As far as changing from IIFYM, maybe keto is too strict. I lift and don't want my exercise to suffer, but I can't find any info out there that relates the two. I know when I eat too many carbs (meaning >150g daily) my PCOS becomes more of an issue and I also tend to bloat and retain fluid. Just looking for options/alternatives.
  • MrsReta101
    MrsReta101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just stopped Keto because I couldn't get past constipation, stomach issues due to too much fat and my workouts tanked. I've lost strength and there is no guarantee when it will return. I adjusted my macros to give room for healthy carbs for fiber and muscle rebuilding. IIFYM is making total sense to me. good luck. I eat 1200, plus most of my workout calories so it varies every day
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do keto and I feel like I eat IIFYM too. I eat mostly whole foods but I work in treats like pepperoni sticks and pork rinds with sour cream dip. As far as I can tell, that's IIFYM, just that keto macros are quite different than the norm. ;)
  • zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried Keto for a few months, and it's actually really easy to stay full if you eat a bunch of meat and cheese. But... it's extremely difficult to maintain:
    -Can't drink beer with friends/family
    -A lot of restaurants don't offer low-carb entrees
    -All bread/pasta/rice is off limits (obviously)
    -All fruits are off limits
    -All smoothies/most beverages are off limits
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, keto is unnecessarily restrictive and doesn't teach "normal" eating habits for when you finish the diet.

A balanced diet (IIFYM or more structured) is best in my opinion.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, keto is unnecessarily restrictive and doesn't teach "normal" eating habits for when you finish the diet.

A balanced diet (IIFYM or more structured) is best in my opinion.

There is nothing abnormal about eating a low carb diet.

OP, I followed an IIFYM approach for the first six months after I joined MFP. I transitioned to a low carb diet where I continued to follow an IIFYM approach - just with a lower carb limit. I've been eating this way for the last five years. If what you're doing right now isn't working absolutely experiment with your macros - it can make a profound difference in my experience. Best wishes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain what the difference between calorie counting and IIFYM is? I count calories, but also try and hit my macros. If you're doing one, you're also doing the other by default.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain what the difference between calorie counting and IIFYM is? I count calories, but also try and hit my macros. If you're doing one, you're also doing the other by default.

As I understand it, IIFYM is working to meet macro goals within a calorie budget. I have heard it argued that it should only apply to a "balanced" diet, often around a 40c/30f/30p macro split. I've been told by a few that very low carb can't be IIFYM because of the low carb macros - because some foods may be excluded. I didn't agree with that though because I could have any high carb food, just not much of it...so it fits my macros. ;)

I think calorie counting is just striving to meet a certain calorie count. I assume minimum macro needs for protein and fat are being met.