Question regarding % for Protein, Carbs, and Fat

Options
Just a question on the amount of carbs that MFP has calculated for my daily intake. Currently it is 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Does this make sense, as I'm more inclined to eat a higher protein base diet and less carbs. Your thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lots of people adjust the macros to fit their specific goals or preferences.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP's preset macros are fine - it's the calorie deficit that causes the weight loss, regardless of your macros.

That being said, if you're happier eating less carbs, go for it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    lavoiekr wrote: »
    Just a question on the amount of carbs that MFP has calculated for my daily intake. Currently it is 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. Does this make sense, as I'm more inclined to eat a higher protein base diet and less carbs. Your thoughts?

I did 50/30/20 for a long time and lost weight. I have shifted a bit from carbs the last year, still lost weight, and haven't seen much difference overall. Energy is the same, muscle building is the same, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I changed the default to 40/30/30, which still doesn't mean i hit those % perfectly on a regular basis.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lavoiekr wrote: »

Often people chose fairly aggressive weight loss goals (e.g., 2 lbs a week), so increasing protein is a great idea over mfps recommendation. Its even more of a reason to increase protein since it can improve satiety and help with muscle maintenance.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    this what works for me , for protein its 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass, 20% to 30 % of your total calories come from fat, then the rest of your calories you fill in with carbs
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    this what works for me , for protein its 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass, 20% to 30 % of your total calories come from fat, then the rest of your calories you fill in with carbs

This is pretty much what I do too. More concerned with the grams of protein and fat I have rather than the percentage.