1500 cal a day and starving

Options
13»

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You need to consider different strategies for "feeling full". Different people find different things satiating, so you'll know based on your history what to try.
    • A lot of people will say "low carb" because it works for a lot of people (diet consisting mostly of meat, vegetables and fats (includes things like nuts, avocado, butter, coconut oil) where most of the calories come from fat).
    • Some people are more "volume eaters". They do better by incorporating larger volumes of foods like non-starcy vegetables where you can get a lot of food for not a lot of calories.
    • Most people will find it helpful to cut down on ultraprocessed foods - or at least to bulk them out with added veggies/salad/whatever. A Lean Cuisine is not filling. A Lean Cuisine with a cup or two of non-starchy vegetables and a salad can be.

Also, seriously consider your activity level. Get up on your feet and walk a bit and "buy" yourself some extra calories for the day. If you're already doing this, you need to account for it and adjust your activity level on MFP. Your goal of 1500 cals/day is for 2 pounds/week weightloss IFF (if and only if) you're sedentary (less than 4,000 steps/day).

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Also, seriously consider your activity level. Get up on your feet and walk a bit and "buy" yourself some extra calories for the day. If you're already doing this, you need to account for it and adjust your activity level on MFP. Your goal of 1500 cals/day is for 2 pounds/week weightloss IFF (if and only if) you're sedentary (less than 4,000 steps/day).

Times 1000. I get 10K steps most days and try to work out 3-4 nights a week, but I have a desk job, so it is VERY hard to compensate for that. A sit-down job makes a huge difference, unfortunately. On those infrequent days where I am on my feet all day (mostly trips out of town where we are walking all day) it's just incredible how I can drop the scale after a weekend like that (normal eating - not going overboard but not being very restrictive either). So frustrating...but all-day activity makes a "night & day" difference for me.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Ugg I did an emoji and it cut off the rest of my comment!!!

I think he was saying when overweight we tend to have a skewed view of hunger and being full. I know I did. When we are used to being stuffed all the time it's hard. Also some people look at literal use of words like starving. (Insert smiley)

Play around with your macros, meal timing, volume and exercise. It takes a little while to figure out are you really hungry? Used to being full all the time? Bored, stressed, tired, emotional?

As a personal note I've learned so much from "snarky" "mean" posts. I just had to divorce it from the information.

Best!!
  • richardbabooram
    richardbabooram Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First time I am eating 1500 calories per day and for some strange reason a small amount of cardio per day helps me not to feel so hungry.
  • Bheath9
    Bheath9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was 210 pounds and couldn't lose weight at 1500 calories and exercising. I bumped my calorie intake to 1800-2000 per day and have lost 15 pounds in 3 months. My body was dropping my metabolism to account for my too low calorie consumption. I also second the reduction in carbs. That has also helped. I refuse to do keto or something that cannot be a lifelong change, but reducing carbs and substituting some keto recipes has really helped my weight loss and I have not missed the carbs.