Replies

• rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    im at 1300 calories also for right now im 73 inches tall and weight 250
  • Kawaiidesu808
    Kawaiidesu808 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    From what I learned recently, if your go to a really low calorie intake to lose weight you will severely slow down and mess up your metabolism. You will see results on the scale now, but once you finish losing weight and start to eat a more normal diet, you will start putting on weight again. And if you try to lose weight again in the future, you won't be able to because your metabolism will be all thrown-off. I just learned that because I am currently struggling with the same problem I am trying to lose weight and my calorie intake has been about 1200-1300 for the past week and its WAY too low. I need to get it back up to about 1600 to be healthy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it could be a bit low.

I'm 5'8" and started at about 190lbs. I had my calories set for 1420, which I believe was 1.5 lbs per week, then I ate at average of 1500 kcals because I was hungrier than that. ;) I'm glad I did though, I ended up losing 2-3 lbs per week after an initial whoosh of (water) weight lost. I think my low carb high fat diet agreed with me. :)

A LCHF diet can help avoid the skakey hypoglycemic symptoms too. If you are relying on fat for fuel, it doesn't matter if glucose intake (carbs) is lower than normal.
    SR1986 wrote: »
    I'd feel shaky if I didn't have any carbohydrates too. I'd die without bread. (Not really of course) there's such a thing as too much. Our bodies need some sort of sugars and carbohydrates. You could try nuts or fruit. Our bodies naturally convert carbohydrates to energy. Too many is a bad thing obviously, but we need some to function. There are healthy ways of getting carbs and sugars (like nuts and fruit) that aren't going to completely ruin your diet.I even have a slice of whole wheat bread and 2 tablespoons of reduced fat peanut butter every other day just to avoid binging baked goods. I also eat brown rice with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice. You need a certain percent of carbohydrates and sugar every day as a part of a well-rounded "nutrition pie". You are more than likely are experiencing low blood sugar. You're going to have to compromise on the sugars and carbohydrates to some degree before you make yourself really sick.

I second that this is not entirely accurate. The body does not need any carbs at all. There is no such thing as a carb or glucose deficiency because your liver can make any glucose it may need through gluconeogenesis.

I do agree that some carbs are healthier than others. :) There are many carbs I skip now because I don't want to do that to my health.