Eating a HUGE breakfast before the gym?

Options
When I started I actually began by doing this a lot. I would burn a lot of it off and it worked. I've slowed down voluntarily over the past three years, but I want to know if anyone eats a huge meal before the gym. Sometimes I would eat 1200 in one meal and still loose 2lbs a week. It was nice, but I like being more chill and slow now.

An example of a meal I used to do is a big chicken and cheese quesadilla or a big egg, ham and cheese burrito.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No, it makes me feel sick.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I think I'd puke at the gym if I did that!
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Ditto.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I tend to roll with 700-800 about two hours before lifting. Haven't bothered trying any more than that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    c. 1000 cals before a really long cycle ride but easy to digest stuff.

Think I would do a "Technicolor Yawn" if I ate what you did!
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat anything right before the gym, but within 2 hours of doing anything excessive. Otherwise I tend to either just have a banana or exercise fasted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    This isn't how it works though. You're not 'burning your breakfast off'.. you're just burning calories.

For me it doesn't matter, as long as I don't do impact, I can eat whatever I like (but oatmeal before impact = get sick).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before the gym. I'd puke.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Your understanding of how calorie expenditure works is wrong.

On re-feed days I typically eat a box of cereal, skimmed milk and whey protein (circa 1600 calories) an hour before working out. As long as I don't train legs, I'm all good.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Same. If i eat anywhere near 2-3 hours before the gym i'm definitely going to be sick; especially such huge volume.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    When I started I actually began by doing this a lot. I would burn a lot of it off and it worked. I've slowed down voluntarily over the past three years, but I want to know if anyone eats a huge meal before the gym. Sometimes I would eat 1200 in one meal and still loose 2lbs a week. It was nice, but I like being more chill and slow now.

An example of a meal I used to do is a big chicken and cheese quesadilla or a big egg, ham and cheese burrito.

Lord no. I've never been able to eat a huge breakfast, no matter what I had planned.
  • spudz100
    spudz100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat anything like that has I would feel uncomfortable. Don't usually eat anything and if I did it would just be a banana.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No, I'd be too sleepy to get anything done...not to mention I'd want to puke.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    No, it makes me feel sick.

That part.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Maybe if there was a comfy bed to curl up in and sleep off my food coma first?
    But otherwise no. I workout fasted. However to each their own
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel sick just thinking about being sick, but no, I work out at 5am so I don't eat at all before
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    God no! Puke city!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Really glad I asked this because it turned out really funny. I had no clue doing this makes or would make people feel sick! Oh, just for the record, i usually wait an hour or two after I eat before I work out.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Had always thought it was "wrong" to exercise so soon after eating, so definitely no.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely puke if I did that. Max I can eat just prior to the gym is about half an RX bar or a small piece of fruit. Whatever works for you though.