Eating out: need advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    lavoiekr wrote: »
    If you ask the restaurant for a nutritional menu, they should have it on hand for you. I know here in Canada it is now the law to post calories on their menu.....it is amazing how much calories a simple hamburger is (1400 for some) in a restaurant.

I have even gone so far as to email them and ask for a nutritional guide. LOL

Only if the restaurant has 20+ locations. Believe me, I will be thrilled when my kosher sushi place decides to jump on the bandwagon. So far, they haven't.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise, steak is a pretty good option that typically won't be adulterated with added unknown quantities of sugar/fat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Generally, everything that most people consider "healthy" like salad, chicken is going to have a lot of mystery stuff added to make it tasty. This 'mystery stuff' usually drives the calories way above a good juicy steak.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Eating out is tough - I had a lunch provided to me at work one day this week, and I caved and ate the cookie.

The 390 calorie, kind of crappy cookie.

I won't do that again. If I'm eating a 390 calorie dessert, it needs to be the chocolate lava cake I had last night. ;) I'm definitely learning a lot about which choices are "worth it" and which I was just making blindly and paying for without realizing it.

Good luck finding a reasonably sized chocolate lava cake for only 390 calories though :p
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eating out is tough - I had a lunch provided to me at work one day this week, and I caved and ate the cookie.

I won't do that again. If I'm eating a 390 calorie dessert, it needs to be the chocolate lava cake I had last night. ;) I'm definitely learning a lot about which choices are "worth it" and which I was just making blindly and paying for without realizing it.

Good luck finding a reasonably sized chocolate lava cake for only 390 calories though :p
    I ate it last night. President's Choice brand. It was fantastic.
    http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc_the_decadent_molten_chocolate_cakes16969.html
  • readytobeatfat54
    readytobeatfat54 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I really enjoy baking desserts, trying to be healthy. It's fairly easy to make substitutes to 'healthify' a dessert without losing taste. Although I think lava cakes may be one of the exceptions...