Eating back calories..... Please simplify

Options
This whole process really confuses me. My daily goal is 1800 and most days I do really well staying under that and plan on once I get comftorable with that goal ill switch to 1600. However my exercise is usually a burn of 200-400 calories. Generally I go to the gym after work and after supper, so my dilemma is once I get home from the gym sometimes 10:00 at night I don't want to eat. One because its late at night and two I'm not hungry. Are there any pointers to help me figure out how to eat those cals back or am I doing okay? I'm confused on how it all works and appreciate any info.

Replies

• greatwestescape
    Options
    If you're not hungry dont worry about it. That 200-400 is over estimated if it's based on a machine anyways. Just make sure you aren't over eating at breakfast instead.
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    If what the machine is telling me is an over estimate and MFP isint accurate either, how do I get an a curate count on calories burned?
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    The machines are a ROUGH estimate. The machines are 10-20% off the actual value unless you are an average body fat % that the formula is based on.

If you are not in shape, take 15-20% off the calories shown.

E.g. 200 = 160 or 400 = 320 Calories.

You also have to keep in mind, the calories shown for food is a ROUGH estimate for places like restaurants. Take subway for example, a 6 inch sub with a reported 480 calories, prob. has closer to 550. When they do the calculations they have WAY LESS condiments such as mayo and mustard.

To put this into perspective.

If your limit is 1600 calories a day and you have eaten 1550 calories for that day. You go to exercise and burn 400 calories (e.g. 320 calories) you now have a deficiency of 450 according to MFP. However, don't be like OH WOW I CAN HAVE THAT PIECE OF PIZZA NOW. Of that 450, you can eat about half, say 225 more calories.

Keeping this in mind,

Watch your weight loss. If you're losing 1lb a week consistently and you're happy with how you are doing, don't change a thing! If you aren't losing weight and you dont know why, you are either A) Eating too many calories B) eating too little calories or C) binging too often.

Remember weight loss isn't day to day, it's more of a week to week thing...
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I also exercise at night, usually an hour or so before bed. Rather than trying to eat the calories "back," I'll sometimes eat more throughout the day. For example, my goal is 1670 net. I may eat 1900 knowing my evening run will take off 300-400. Take it with a grain of salt, as I'm not a professional, but I just pay attention to the net calories at the end of the day.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    At a research center that has a metabolic chamber. Otherwise it's an estimate that could be off as much as 100%.
    If what the machine is telling me is an over estimate and MFP isint accurate either, how do I get an a curate count on calories burned?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Dont.. simple
  • kgainez23
    kgainez23 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm confused about this theory?
    you're supposed to eat the calories back that you've burned? why?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this theory?
    you're supposed to eat the calories back that you've burned? why?

Food ie calories are like gas for your body, the more you run your car the more gas you need to keep it running.
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    It all almost sounds like a never winning battle. So to burn 500 cals on the treadmill i should technically burn 600 to even out? This is all so confusing. Ive stopped loosing like i originally was in the beginning and i will slowly loose a pound her or there. Im wanting get myself to burn 500 or more a day to try to help drop more weight. I dont think food intake is a issue. I eat my 3 square meals a day and snack in between when needed...I dont have a high intake of junk food by any means. If i am hungry i try to go twards a healthy snack and not to chips or coke or chocolate. Ive shown a lot of restraint. I just wish i could get these stubborn calories burned figured out.... *still confused*
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options
    Dont.. simple

Dont what?
  • Lemetriab
    Lemetriab Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It all almost sounds like a never winning battle. So to burn 500 cals on the treadmill i should technically burn 600 to even out? This is all so confusing. Ive stopped loosing like i originally was in the beginning and i will slowly loose a pound her or there. Im wanting get myself to burn 500 or more a day to try to help drop more weight. I dont think food intake is a issue. I eat my 3 square meals a day and snack in between when needed...I dont have a high intake of junk food by any means. If i am hungry i try to go twards a healthy snack and not to chips or coke or chocolate. Ive shown a lot of restraint. I just wish i could get these stubborn calories burned figured out.... *still confused*

Since you said that it may not be your food intake then it may be how you are burning calories. Try putting a little more variety in your workouts. Like adding weight lifting or more high intensity interval training to your workout. It may be that your body has gotten use to doing the same thing. A really good HIIT is Nike Training Club app for your mobile phone. It is only 30 to 45 minutes and you burn quite a few calories.
  • ClevaFeatha
    Options

Since you said that it may not be your food intake then it may be how you are burning calories. Try putting a little more variety in your workouts. Like adding weight lifting or more high intensity interval training to your workout. It may be that your body has gotten use to doing the same thing. A really good HIIT is Nike Training Club app for your mobile phone. It is only 30 to 45 minutes and you burn quite a few calories.

Awesome thanks. Currently i am in the middle of the Abe challenge/squat challenge/arm challenge with 1 hour treadmill. After these are done and i see what results i get im gonna go back to mixing things up... Im wanting to try to work some off of the theory that 1300 calories equal a pound, If i can burn 500 calories day then hopefully kill a pound a week. Though i know that is a big goal. I am gladly going to take what i can get i understand weight loss takes time im just trying to give it a nice kick in he rear. :-)