Anyone tracking blood pressure?

Options
Wondering if anyone tracks their blood pressure and what they use to log it?

Bought a machine as I saw one in a flyer on sale for $50. Cuff is too small so I've ordered a bigger one ($10), but got decent numbers. I see reading online that it is recommended to check twice a day, but is there a decent way to track it in MFP? Or am I adding a tab to my weight spreadsheet?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have an app specifically for keeping track of my BP...any of the free ones are just fine.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Retired from IT after 30+ years. I write mine down on a piece of paper.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just use S health it is available on Samsung devices, but otherwise just writing it down on a piece of paper is more then enough. Once a day is enough, even once a week if you don't have high BP, just make sure you are sitting down with your arm in a resting position on a table/counter, at the same time everyday and on the same arm preferably at rest, not after you eat or do extreme physical activity. If you do get a higher recording repeat it after 5 minutes of resting and take the average of 3 recordings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have an app specifically for keeping track of my BP...any of the free ones are just fine.

Me too.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    It is suggested to check it 2 - 3 times a day initially, to determine if there are patterns to note (for instance morning Hypertension). I just monitor for general health (border line hypertension in the past), so a nice little excel spread sheet and graph (with trendline) and I'm comfortable with my level of monitoring.
    Make sure to have your unit compared to your Doctors sphygmomanometer to make sure your readings are relatively accurate (there can be a HUGE variation between the cheap units...) or at least then knowing your unit reads "X" points higher or lower than your Doctors.

cheers
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have been letting my doctor track it. She observed it falling as I lost weight last year. In December she took me off the lisinopril because I'd been forgetting to take it and my systolic was below 120. Both in December and again in February I donated blood and my donor cards record it fell from December to February as I lost 9 lb. This past weekend it measured 97/60
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Bought a machine as I saw one in a flyer on sale for $50. Cuff is too small so I've ordered a bigger one ($10), but got decent numbers. I see reading online that it is recommended to check twice a day, but is there a decent way to track it in MFP? Or am I adding a tab to my weight spreadsheet?

Are you in the US? You can track your BP on Walgreen's website if you have a rewards card. You can even earn points for tracking things like your steps, BP, and blood glucose. Go to the website and search for "Balance Rewards for healthy choices"

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Are you in the US?

Nope. The frosty country just north of that.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, there's no way to track it on MFP (unless it's a premium feature but I don't think so). I used to use the one on Heart & Stroke - https://etools.heartandstroke.ca/HeartStroke/BPAP.Net/Tracker.aspx - but I got tired of having to login every time (what the hell are computer cookies "keep me logged in" for if the site doesn't bother to turn them on?) and it gets annoying to see the "you're gonna DIE" notation on every measurement. I checked twice, once when I woke up (fantastic, within "normal" limits) and once before bed (hypertensive/"high").

When I check, I write down on paper.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use an Excel spreadsheet along with some other key metrics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I track mine. It's always been fine but my husband has hypertension so we have a home monitor. I track mine in an Excel spreadsheet.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not very regular with it but I do it in the health app on my iPhone.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do mine weekly, I also use an Excel spreadsheet.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have hypertension, and have a wrist monitor. Weight loss and exercise lower it, definitely. Although I am still on meds also. It is important to research and buy the right, accurate device. My BP is always high in the morning, and I was advised that's common, apparently, because your blood becomes thicker due to no fluid intake whilst sleeping. I take mine at the same time mid afternoon and keep a record. Sodium is bad, as are many sweeteners. Never seen it logged here, and thought it more a personal thing... research the best recommended monitors though or your stats could be inaccurate...
  • Anacortes56
    Anacortes56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My md told me most "arm" monitors are perfectly fine but to avoid the "wrist" bp cuffs cus not reliable. I've checked mine with the doc's office several times and it's been accurate. Then I just record on a piece of paper - 2 times a day - at the same time (am and pm) and place (sitting) and after relaxing for a bit.

Due to sky high bp and bad family history, was unfortunately placed on 2 meds. I've also been told to exercise more (tho only able to walk due to recent neck injury) and lose the 20 pounds I've added as a result. Also trying recommended plant-based whole foods "diet" for past 30 days (per RN) since it's "supposed" to help with HBP and want off the meds. Not sure if it'll help but hoping....

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd welcome them. Thanks!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have a Withings bluetooth BP monitor. It takes the measurement and uploads it to Withings' site (where my Withings scale also uploads my daily weigh-ins) for tracking. The BP monitor is a bit battery hungry, but seems to work very well otherwise. Pairs with your smartphone and you initiate the test (and read the results) on your phone. I take measurements anywhere from daily to a couple/few times a week (depending on how meticulous I am at the moment), in the morning when I wake up and before I eat or drink anything.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    lake196 wrote: »
    My md told me most "arm" monitors are perfectly fine but to avoid the "wrist" bp cuffs cus not reliable. I've checked mine with the doc's office several times and it's been accurate. Then I just record on a piece of paper - 2 times a day - at the same time (am and pm) and place (sitting) and after relaxing for a bit.

Due to sky high bp and bad family history, was unfortunately placed on 2 meds. I've also been told to exercise more (tho only able to walk due to recent neck injury) and lose the 20 pounds I've added as a result. Also trying recommended plant-based whole foods "diet" for past 30 days (per RN) since it's "supposed" to help with HBP and want off the meds. Not sure if it'll help but hoping....

Changing your diet to a more plant based diet is likely to help along with exercise . Be strict on you diet for the first 3 weeks and exercise.

I drank a lot of hibiscus and aronia tea too and my bp dropped dramatically within the first month.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

You can create new categories on the "check-in" page where you record weight and measurements. (There's a link under the existing categories that says "Track additional measurements.")

Once I got my BP under control I stopped logging regularly, but the BP machine I bought has a memory and will save a lot (a hundred, I think) of past measurements, so every few months I try to remember to copy them down into a text file.

ETA: if you decide to use an app, or a website like Walgreens, I strongly recommend that you read the privacy statement to be sure they won't share your information with third parties. If not, it's not ad-stalking for BP meds you have to worry about. The information could be sold to data brokers, who in turn could sell it to health insurance companies, companies that use it for making decisions about your creditworthiness, employers and potential employers, etc.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I have a Withings bluetooth BP monitor. It takes the measurement and uploads it to Withings' site (where my Withings scale also uploads my daily weigh-ins) for tracking. The BP monitor is a bit battery hungry, but seems to work very well otherwise. Pairs with your smartphone and you initiate the test (and read the results) on your phone. I take measurements anywhere from daily to a couple/few times a week (depending on how meticulous I am at the moment), in the morning when I wake up and before I eat or drink anything.

Ouch. $200 Cdn on Amazon for that one. Mine was $50, but doesn't update automatically so I type it into the Withings App. But it's not been over 120/80 so I've kinda stopped tracking it regularly. And the batteries died and I didn't have AAA's, but I bought some.

I'm worrying about it less now.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lake196 wrote: »

I think that the arm cuffs tend to be accurate. It's odd my new PCP nurse uses a wrist one. Last time it was 30 points off! My BP by cuff was 155/90 her wrist model was 125/82!

I was off both my BP meds for over a year. Diet and exercise, mainly walking. I also watch sodium and drink lots of water. I had cut all alcohol out during that time.

Since we moved to 7500' I've had problems and had to go back on one med. I really don't think it's the proper medication, it was added for Tachacardia and does slightly lower heart rate and BP, but it is not primarily used for BP.
    My pressure spiked over the weekend and I am going back in tomorrow.

Best wishes to you.