Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help Needed. Slow progress i think?

Rhonles
Rhonles Posts: 10 Member
I've been pretty overweight all my life. As i got older i realized what my problem was and why i maintained my weight for some years and then just gradually gained weight. I never did much exercise (far and few between to really see changes) and while i thought eating less times a day was good whenever i ate i had a big plate of Rice and Peas.
>
> Fast forward to 2013, i was going through my mail one night and saw an email from my Gym about a bootcamp competition. Yes the prizes looked good but the ultimate prize looked even better..."A new/better you" I figured i needed motivation and a push so this may just be it so i decided to go.
>
> Here's my workout routine. I have bootcamp Mon, Wed and Frid for 1 hour. Bootcamp pretty much include outdoor activities. Walking laps (10times) around a small field, walking/running up staircases, squats, crunches, leg raises, sit ups, plank formation, push ups, walking with logs. I have weights class on a tuesday and thursday for 1 hour. I may not go to all my bootcamp sessions but I definitely make it to the gym/bootcamp on average 3-5 times a week. After boot camp I normally go in the gym and do 20- 25 minutes on the elliptical machine burning 250-270 calories, 10-15 mins stair master 115-175 cal, treadmill 15-25 mins 130-160cal. I usually try to burn at least 400 calories in total on the machines.

My eating is as followed as prescribed by bootcamp
Day 1 Bcaa supplement aka fast day
Day 2 3 protein and carb shakes + 2 protein and fat shakes for the day. Using whey protein/oats/nutella/fruits/yogurt/water
Day 3 low carb day
Day 4 carb depletion day/ protein and veg day
Day 5 Cheat day

My total caloric intake is set to 1410 per day.

My concern is I just don't seem to be losing the lbs. I started working out June 10th
Height: 5'7
Starting weight: 227
Current weight: 217
Goal weight: 160

How many calories do you guys think I should be burning in a workout? Should I do s'thing differently? I'm really trying to do this healthy and right way.

Replies

• Rhonles, You should be eating 1200-1400 cals a day comprised of 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat. You should be eating good foods that are made up of one ingredient, no Doritos, frozen pizzas, pre-processed foods. All nice whole grain breads, loads of veggies, lean meats and nuts. If you eat rice make sure it is brown rice or quinoa. Protein shakes are awesome what kind are you using?
  • Chrissysftns
    Chrissysftns Posts: 113 Member
    What do you do on day 6 and Day 7?
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    OP, I am 5'7, started at 231, now at 212. I've been eating between 1700-2000 calories a day and do far less activity than you. You need to start eating back some exercise calories in my opinion, it's worth a try. 1410 I believe is far too low for a 5'7 woman with 50+ lbs to lose. Hope things get moving for you soon :smile:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    It looks like you are doing sufficient cardio, so I think you should be eating at least some of your exercise calories back, especially being that you are already creating a deficit by fasting one day a week. Or more??? As for macros, for now, just find a combination that works for you. If it isn't sustainable, then it won't work, right? Create a average weekly calorie deficit in a way that you can envision doing for the rest of your life. Incorporate cardio, weightlifting and sensible, portion controlled eating, but don't fuss overmuch about "clean" and meal timing and frequency etc. The simple way is the best way. :smile: And tell yourself, "there's no rush, enjoy the journey."
  • Rhonles
    @Chrissy I start the cycle over. After day 5 start back with day 1.
  • Rhonles
    @quicksprt98 I prepare all my meals myself except on Cheat Day. The protein shake i use is Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Vanilla. I ENJOY Shake Day especially the mocha peanut butter shakes which i replace with Nutella. (Ingredients for Shake----> 1 to 2 scoops of whey protein, 1 /4 tbsp of cocoa powder, 1 heaped tbsp of Nutella, Ice and 1 cup of water)
    I consume no Rice.. I may have some on my cheat day but that is rare. I've been told to increase my calorie intake...i'm a bit confused cause i thought the more calories i ate the greater it was to gain a lb.
  • Rhonles
    @Cindyinpg Do you think i should increase the calorie intake by eating more fruits/veg or proteins? I'm not starving throughout the days so i thought it was sufficient. I really only feel a bit hungry on the fast day in the evenings. I always thought when i burned calories and earned extra calories that meant i would lose more lbs but seems i had it wrong. I really do plan to make this a life long journey...just was wondering if i was doing something wrong. Thanks for your encouragement!:smile:
  • Rhonles
    @Walkingmermai ....We're pretty similar. I'm definitely gonna have to try and increase my calorie intake this week and see how much of a difference it makes. Thanks for your input.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Your plan sounds pretty extreme and kind of complicated. I really don't think that you have to do all that. Make changes that you can stick to for the rest of your life. Or once you stop you will gain the weight back.

If you are going to be that active then you should be eating more. You need to fuel your body or else you will burn out. Eat your TDEE -20%.
  • Rhonles
    I completely agree...I definitely plan to cut out the BCAA day and perhaps replace that day with more protein and carb shakes. 1. Do you suggest i eat more proteins/fruits/ vegetables? 2. What is TDEE?