High Blood pressure

Options
HELP!!! I have been battling HBP for month's now. I figured after I started working out and watching what I eat that it would go down and I could get off these meds. Well to no avail. BP still high (160/98 at rest) and now the trainer at the gym has me freeking out and only want's me to get my heart rate no higher than 145-well that's a light walk. Anyone else have HBP and know the correct heart rate that I can do without hurting myself. Can't get into the doc. till the 22nd of this month and if I stop working out till then I know I will not start back up. I know every person is different but to me 145 heart rate is uselss range.

-Thanks

Replies

• terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    HELP!!! I have been battling HBP for month's now. I figured after I started working out and watching what I eat that it would go down and I could get off these meds. Well to no avail. BP still high (160/98 at rest) and now the trainer at the gym has me freeking out and only want's me to get my heart rate no higher than 145-well that's a light walk. Anyone else have HBP and know the correct heart rate that I can do without hurting myself. Can't get into the doc. till the 22nd of this month and if I stop working out till then I know I will not start back up. I know every person is different but to me 145 heart rate is uselss range.

-Thanks

No advice but I can sympathize...I have HBP too and am on meds too. Can you call your doctor and just ask if its ok to still exercise until you can you see him on the 22nd? I think even with meds mine is still high but doctor ok'd me to exercise as long as it wasn't strenuous but of course everyone is different.

Fiona:)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well I've had HBP for most of my life and take medication for it. My doctor said that I will always have high blood pressure no matter how much exercise or how healthy I eat due to my illness. I would like to prove him wrong and somehow lower it, but I have had it for years and all I can do is do short daily exercises and not over-do it...
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    Is 160/98 really high? I don't know what the standards are but I don't think I'm much lower than that and my Dr. isn't concerned.

As far as heart rate, when I haven't been working out regularly, I can go up to 190 before I get concerned. Anything over that I feel like I'll pass out.
    I think when I'm working out 3-4 times a week I am in better shape and my heart rate will stay around 170-180.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    call the office and ask! you do not have to wait for your appt to ask questions. I would think the dr wants you to work out and would be happy to answer your questions.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've tried asking but he's not in the office till the 19th and the on call (from past experiences with him) will only reply to emergency calls (which in the long run I don't blame him). I'll try it at 180 rate and see how it goes. Just don't want to have any more excuses that I can use to not get out of bed and go.
  • rmwilliams0519
    Options
    I have HBP and take meds also, I have had a stress test as well. My doc told me that I had to start out slow and build my muscle(heart) just like any other muscle. The first 2 weeks keep my heart rate at 130 to 140, the next two weeks 140 to 150, and the next 2 weeks 150 to 160. I have been working out now for 2 months and I don't let my heart rate get higher then 185 - 190. I wear a heart rate monitor and make sure if it starts to get too high I just take a quick rest.

Also I have noticed that starting our slow like that it now takes a little more movement and time to get my heart rate up that high. And it doesn't take as long for me to bring it back down.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can relate, as I've had HBP for years. 160/98 IS quite high, I would be concerned too. The highest that doctors like to see (in someone who is not diabetic) is 120/80, and 140/90 is considered high blood pressure.

Now that I've lost 30 lbs my BP is within the normal range most times (I check it at home daily) and I am hoping that I will be able to go off one of the two medications I've been on for the past many years sometime soon.

When I decided to change my lifestyle last fall I booked an appointment at a clinic that specializes in cardiac prevention and rehab, because of my family history of heart disease and my HBP. I wanted to make sure that I didn't kill myself trying to get healthy. My cardiologist recommended at that time that I keep my heart rate between 100 & 110, which I did, and now I have gradually worked up to keeping it at 130 while walking on the treadmill. I have successfully lost those 30 pounds in 5 months (and counting) doing that and while it might not be a strenuous workout, it's been successful for me. BTW I am a 46-year-old woman who currently weighs 170 lbs. I exercise 5-6 times a week and also include strength training in every workout.

I would certainly consult your doctor and see what he/she has to say, and stay within the recommended heart rate until your BP is under control. It's not worth risking your well being, in my humble opinion, and you'll get results, they will just take longer.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sorry I also meant to say that for me working out at 130 is not just strolling; I am at 3.4 mph at an average of 5 incline on the TM for 40 minutes (less a 5 minute warmup). I work up a nice sweat & it feels like I've worked out at the end.