35yo 5'9 male, 195 lbs, 1700 cals diet. Struggling to lose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" and lost 36# from 196 down to 160 and reduced my BF% from +25% down to 12% over 5 months on a 1600-1700 diet initially and have been maintaining at 160 for the last 2 month at 1850. My calculated TDEE using a variety of different calculators is 2000-2100 which is totally wrong for me.

Macros have always been 40P/40C/20F which has averaged 180g P/200g C/60g F per day. This is NOT too much protein nor too little fat. It is just the right amount if you are counting your cals correctly and lifting heavy.

I have been doing heavy progressive weight lifting throughout and increased my strength by over 20% across the board doing just DL, SQT, BP and OHP despite being on a deficit/maintenance diet the entire time. Also did a lot of cardio early on but almost none now.

So, there's no reason why you can't achieve your weight loss goal while also increasing your strength if you are doing something similar to what I did. Good luck!

BTW, 5# per month of weight loss is a very reasonable rate of loss. Losing it faster is not better, slow and steady is. You'll lose 30# in 6 months at this rate, which would put you at a "normal" BMI level if that is your objective.

PS: If you are becoming constipated just increase your intake of high fiber foods or use a fiber supplement like psyllium.

Do I need to eat so much protein? I find that is really hard to do. I have heard that I only need to eat 1 gram per lean body weight. Since I am 28% fat, I didn't want to eat 190 grams per day.

Thanks for the advice. I worked out last night and found that my strength has increased since last week..

Are you also taking creatine?

• dudebro200
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I know what I need to do now. I need to weigh all food, and take in a bit more fat per day.

...and lower your weekly loss rate to .5-1 lb/week. With your stats, I'd suggest .5 lb. ;)

Probably the right plan, but takes some long-term discipline.
  • dudebro200
    Options
    Just want to thank everyone again for the great advice. I weighed myself today and I hit 186 lbs. This was after not counting my calories and "re-feeding" for 4 days. I suspect my increased carb intake allowed my body to excrete all the fecal matter that has accumulated since cutting down on carbs.

I increase my overall calories as instructed and it worked.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @dudebro200 Glad you're making progress, but I suspect you may have filled in your MFP profile wrong for starters. You're 1" shorter than I am, but had a higher starting weight, along with a more rigorous weekly exercise routine, so 1740 calories seem low when I am allowed 1810.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My 2cents-give up the free nuts for a few weeks
  • dudebro200
    Options
    Op here. I just weighed in 183. Looks like 1700 to 1800 is the right calorie range. I have made sure that I ate no more than 1800 on most days and my weight loss has stayed at 1 lb a week. My strength losses have stabilized. I have actually increased my strength in my legs and triceps.

I want to get to 9% body fat, which I am guessing will be around 165. I am going to get a dexa scan to calibrate my goal.