Superslimmers: Did They Really Keep the Weight Off?

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    Options
    hazels1973 wrote: »
    Thankuuuuu everyone..New start tmw! And promise not to get too down!!
    In answer to Tracey I wanted to lose 2 stone but have lost 12lbs so far so all good...And it's more important for me to keep that off!
    I think from what everyone is saying I may stop obsessing, stop weighing and be strict on tracking what I am eating which I have done today. Let's see at end of Feb where I am
    Off to boxercise now!

2LBS a week is neither sensible nor sustainable in the absence of any other data. 2lbs a week is sensible and sustainable for a 320lb, 6ft 3", 25 yo male. In fact it may be too slow. For a 5ft 130lb female the same is not true.

Think maximum 0.07% of bodyweight lost a week. OK, many will say 1% of bodyweight lost a week. These are levels that are considered to be lean mass preserving.

Think differently... a maximum of 20% of daily TDEE as your deficit.
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Is that like The Biggest Loser? I know TBL contestants rarely kept the weight off because the show didn't offer much, if any maintenance assistance. They shed the weight super quickly through intense dieting and exercise and then had no real way of knowing how to keep that weight off. It's all rather sad. I'd rather lose slow and keep the weight off. I'm glad to have MFP!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Two stone really is doable @hazels1973 and you're practically half-way already!
    Log religiously, you'll get handier and quicker at it with time and the weight WILL come off, I promise you that.

When I'm maintaining, I don't log, but I generally know what I'm taking in. I also give myself a weight range, I will allow myself to fluctuate, up to a certain point. When I reach that point, it's time to regain control and I will log again for as long as it takes to get back to my acceptable weight range. That's my way to ensure I will never regain again. I'm good now, and don't need to log, but I do still log in every day, just as a little reminder to myself.

And yes @cwolfman13 I fully agreed that regular exercise must be part of your life, I see it as a chore like brushing your teeth, however I don't think this needs to be 2 hours a day!

30-60 minutes per day is just fine for general health and fitness...most people who are doing more than that tend to have more specific goals in mind and don't really see their training as a chore. I usually do a couple of endurance events annually plus I've added a summer time trial series to the mix...these are just things I love doing...basically it's a hobby and so it's the training.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I agree about the exercise. I love to walk, especially hiking and backpacking. Since my husband can't hike as well as he used to, and I found I was missing the regular more strenuous exercise, I've taken up running. We walk a couple of miles together every day with the dog, and then I run an hour or more. I enjoy training for marathons, which gets my weekly running up to about 8+ hours a week and I don't consider it a chore. For me, it's fun, and has become a necessary part of my emotional balance. It also allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want, which is a bonus.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I don't think most people who are exercising 2 hours a day see it as a "chore." I'm typically putting in 60-90 minutes daily and often 4 hours or more on weekends. For the most part, I don't even think about it as exercise. I'm just out riding a bicycle. It is a great way to get to know your neighbors. It is a great way to see your city. I have learn far more about my city by riding my bicycle than I ever did by sitting in a car following a concrete ribbon until it reached a parking lot near my destination. And then there is the twenty minutes I spend walking to lunch every day. Technically, that is exercise, but I'm just going to lunch.

I go for at least hour walk every day, even on holiday/vacations and don't consider it exercise either. It's activity or active lifestyle for me, not exercise.

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sorry to bump a few day old post, but I just watched this, and while I agree it didn't really explain why, at the same time, I found it interesting that it was basically repeating what I've seen many experienced people on here say for years.

Every single one of those people followed VLC diets, sometimes combined with an extreme amount of cardio. The result is, they drop muscle mass very quickly, and their BMR hits rock bottom. Then they come off said diet and try to resume a semi normal lifestyle and gain the weight back.

With a realistic target of say 1lb a week weight loss, preferably combined with some form of strength training (doesn't have to be loads, 3 times a week is fine) and you can certainly keep it off.

Edited to add: Obviously there are also the cases of people simply returning to their normal eating habits, which obviously doesn't work either!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I will probably count calories for a long time, maybe forever, in order to maintain. Counting is new to me as is maintaining the same weight, but I know after 2 months, 2000 is my target that works for maintenance. I've had a few splurges but 90% of my days are right on target. Once I got to my maintenance weight, I figured out my average weight loss over the prior month per week, and added back those calories at 500/lb/week. It worked. I think it works for everyone to be honest, independent of medications and medical conditions of course.