Hysterectomy and weight help!

Options
Hi everyone!
I've finally lost 23 pounds and can see a difference. I want straight forward and honest help here.
I'm having a total hysterectomy on the 28th of this month. I've read so many different things some gained some lost etc
If you've had one can you give me advice please!
Thank you in advance

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The only reason why you gain or lose is because of calorie intake. Count your calories, all of them and you will be okay. Good luck with you surgery. <3
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I had one almost 2 years ago- laproscopic, uterus removed but kept ovaries. I stayed about the same weight after surgery as before, but I couldn't exercise for a good long time. I could do very easy paced walking right after, which is required for healing anyways, but only for about 10 minutes at a time at first. Gradually could do more and more. Get moving but DO NOT push yourself beyond what your body can handle or you'll get pain & swelling. I didn't feel pain free until 6 months after my surgery (even though I was cleared for regular activity after 8 weeks) and didn't start lifting weights or doing gym workouts until about 10 months post surgery. Even then it took me a long time to be able to do core work (sit ups, planks, etc), but then again I wasn't very fit before I got the surgery.

Surgery doesn't really make you gain or lose weight, your calorie intake afterwards does. I would suggest eating at maintenance while healing. Your body needs calories and nutrients to heal properly. So if you keep trying to lose weight post surgery you might take longer to heal. But if you eat in a surplus you may gain weight. So maybe do maintenance calories for a few months. Also eat nutrient dense foods and adequate protein, and I would take a multivitamin too.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Had laproscopic hyster 10 years ago.
    Didn't have much trouble recovering or maintaining my weight, but did take it easy for the full 8 weeks.
    My weight went up slowly and steadily due to numerous factors, but my hyster was definitely not one of them.
    I consider the hyster one of the best decisions I ever made.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    Had laproscopic hyster 10 years ago.
    Didn't have much trouble recovering or maintaining my weight, but did take it easy for the full 8 weeks.
    My weight went up slowly and steadily due to numerous factors, but my hyster was definitely not one of them.
    I consider the hyster one of the best decisions I ever made.

Me too! I love being free from the monthly cycle misery!! And the reduced cancer risk is awesome too. I only wish I'd done it sooner.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I had one in the middle of my weight loss process...I held steady for the 6 weeks of downtime and was able to continue losing after that.
  • jujubeans1974
    jujubeans1974 Posts: 145 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    April 8 will be my one year anniversary ... I had a "total hysterectomy" everything was removed, accept my ovaries .. my abdomen incision was long.. my uterus was the size of a six month pregnancy .. recovery was fine ... I gained 7 pounds this last year ... not from the surgery .. I lost my father two months, after my surgery ... than was diagnosed with hypothyroidism ...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I think it's reasonable to expect your body to hold onto some water weight while healing post-surgery, so don't be concerned if that does happen. (Did for me after laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, for 2-3 weeks.) I'd also encourage you to consider reducing calorie deficit post-surgery, maybe even going to maintenance calories for a while. I didn't do that (for the gallbladder surgery, not hysto), and in retrospect wish I had. I think recovery and return to exercise would've gone better. Your call, though.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you have an oofrectomy as well as hysterectomy the hormonal changes may result in (usually abdominal/mid section) weight gain. Your gynae surgeon should be able to provide you with information on managining this. Sometimes if even an ovary can be preserved this can bs minimised but other options include hormone replacement therapy ... the Dr will be very familiar with all options for best management though should you develop this problem.

Other factors that may impact weight loss/maintenance/gain are reduced activity post operatively. An open hysterectomy will reduce your activity more than a laparoscopic hysterectomy.

Please remember that nutrition is critical to wound healing so ensuring you're intake is meeting your nutritional (not just caloric) needs pre and post op can help set you up for a good recover so you can get back to usual function as quick as possible.

Good luck with the op. I hope it releives whatever the issue is.

• courtneyfabulous
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I stayed the same.

Not sure if you have found this site, but I found it helpful. hystersisters.com

Yes!! That site helped me so much too, loved the forums!!
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I gained something like 10 pounds during my recovery after mine, which was 17 months ago, but that was before I started mfp. I wasnt counting, or even watching calories, so i had no idea how much i was eating, and of course my activity was really minimized. Being aware of what youre eating will help tremendously. It wasn't the surgery, it was how much I ate and how little I moved.
    I agree with the advice to stay at maintenance during your critical recovery (8-12 weeks, because a "full" recovery can take up to a year). I had a total + ovaries/tubes- if it was in there, they took it out :open_mouth: and woke up with a HRT patch on. Definitely don't overdo or try to get back to regular workouts too soon. Get clearance for the types of exercise you want to do/return to, and even then dont do it unless you feel strong enough and pain-free enough. Ease in and stop if it causes any sort of abdomen/core pain. make hystersisters forums & database your best friend. :)
    My gyno didn't discuss anything besides the surgery, so if you have other questions and the same kind of doctor I did, you may need to talk to your regular doctor.
    Quick tip, if you feel nauseous right after the surgery (and many do) and the nurse asks you if you want to sniff an alcohol wipe packet "to make it go away" be aware that means it will go away because it will make you puke! >.< (yes that is experience talking!)
  • Lorilynn_37
    Lorilynn_37 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I gained something like 10 pounds during my recovery after mine, which was 17 months ago, but that was before I started mfp. I wasnt counting, or even watching calories, so i had no idea how much i was eating, and of course my activity was really minimized. Being aware of what youre eating will help tremendously. It wasn't the surgery, it was how much I ate and how little I moved.
    I agree with the advice to stay at maintenance during your critical recovery (8-12 weeks, because a "full" recovery can take up to a year). I had a total + ovaries/tubes- if it was in there, they took it out :open_mouth: and woke up with a HRT patch on. Definitely don't overdo or try to get back to regular workouts too soon. Get clearance for the types of exercise you want to do/return to, and even then dont do it unless you feel strong enough and pain-free enough. Ease in and stop if it causes any sort of abdomen/core pain. make hystersisters forums & database your best friend. :)
    My gyno didn't discuss anything besides the surgery, so if you have other questions and the same kind of doctor I did, you may need to talk to your regular doctor.
    Quick tip, if you feel nauseous right after the surgery (and many do) and the nurse asks you if you want to sniff an alcohol wipe packet "to make it go away" be aware that means it will go away because it will make you puke! >.< (yes that is experience talking!)

Man that's mean! Making you puke on purpose after abdominal surgery?! When they asked me if I was nauseous after waking up from surgery- and yes I was once I stood up- they gave me a shot into my IV port of some liquid drug that instantly stopped the nausea (and no bad side effects). Sounds like you had a mean nurse!!
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Man that's mean! Making you puke on purpose after abdominal surgery?! When they asked me if I was nauseous after waking up from surgery- and yes I was once I stood up- they gave me a shot into my IV port of some liquid drug that instantly stopped the nausea (and no bad side effects). Sounds like you had a mean nurse!!

To be fair, they had given me some med for it and it wasn't working, I had been nauseous for awhile.
    When I complained to her about it later, she said "It worked didn't it?" :open_mouth: Well, true lol.
    Just hard to say which is worse, although I was on pain med so it probably didn't hurt as much as it could have. I don't recall clearly anymore, I just know it was unpleasant but at least it ended.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had a LAVH hysterectomy in August, ovaries were not removed. I gained about 10 lbs, which I put down to not being able to walk/run or work out for the first two weeks and eating more than I probably should. I was not active on MFP at that time. I was given the all clear to start walking at a leisurely pace at two weeks (which worked out to a 20 minute mile), and gradually increased my speed. At four weeks I walked a 5K race with some of my running friends. I had some problems with abdominal swelling for a few months, but once I was able to increase my activities it went away.

I would strongly encourage you to ask your doctor about an abdominal binder. I don't know if you're having the abdominal incision or laprascopic, but I really liked the extra support it gave me. It also helped with control the "swelly belly" feeling.

Good luck and please PM me if I can answer any questions.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Total hysterectomy six years ago. DO NOT step on the scales for at least two weeks afterward as they load you with fluids and you're going to gain a lot of water weight (I had a 6 pound fibroid removed, and when I got on the scales I weight 3 pounds MORE post op than pre op).

Your body is going to be doing a LOT of healing the first couple of weeks, so don't worry about calories and keep your protein intake up.

Follow the post op instructions--you don't want to pop and stitches or tear anything.

I felt so much better after my surgery--good luck!
  • sierraleigh1
    sierraleigh1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy with bilateral ovary removal at age 26. I didn't gain weight from it. I have recently because of medications and over eating and I noticed it does go to my mid section a lot more than before. Just watch how many calories you eat and try to move more.