Want to lose 5 lbs but not motivated

Options
Hello all! I've been in maintenance since last April with a range of 122-127. Most of the time I was around 124-125 until my vacation in December and now I'm up around 127-128 and I just can't get below that eating 1700 calories a day. Previously I could very slowly lose with 1700 a day but I think I've been less active lately because of increasing hours at work and just general winter laziness.

I just think I'd be more comfortable in the low 120s (I'm 5' 2.5" for reference) so I am considering actively trying to lose more. But I'm having trouble cutting calories because 1450 just seems so low! When I was losing weight last year I was still nursing so I got extra calories for that so I lost eating closer to 2000. It feels like a big cut in calories.

Has anyone else been in the position of maintaining for a while and then trying to lose again? How did it go? I lost 90 lbs total, from 212 to 122 so it took a long time and maintaining is way more fun! :)

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, that's awesome! Once I hit the top of my maintenance range my loss seemed to level off, that was last fall. But I really want to get to the bottom of that 5 lb maintenance range, so I'm trying to tighten up again. There's not a lot of wiggle room for me at this point. Maintenance has barely been a change for me because i was losing quite slowly, 1-2 lb per month. I eat the same most of the time as when I was losing, but allow a few more meals out, desserts, or glasses of wine than before.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation, 5'2 and had lost down to my original goal weight of 125. I lost a couple more without even thinking about it and then things sort of settled in and I stalled. I hovered there for another 6 months or so, before deciding to officially calling it maintenance. I changed my goal to "maintain my weight" and didn't add more than 100 cals to my goal (since I was already not losing). After a month or so, i started losing again, very slowly, about 1 lb/month. I now am at 120 but spend most of my time b/w 118-121.

For me, I think when losing I always had the mindset that my deficit was a buffer. I want always super strict about staying at goal for the week since I knew there was a safety net there. Once I changed to maintenance, mostly in my mindset, I knew I didn't have that safety net so it made me be extra careful and I've made sure to stay active so that I can continue to have a higher than average TDEE (2200) even though I'm petite.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I go through this one to two times per year. Normally I give it a good go for a couple weeks with logging all my food, then I slowly stop logging but still am focused on eating less and continuing working out. Right now I am actually serious about it because I ended up well above my normal fluctuations after the holidays. I'm also eating at 1450 and haven't had too hard of a time sticking to it the past 6 weeks. It's definitely slow going but I've lost 4 lbs and want to lose at least 2 more.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    So I did the same thing. I maintained at 130-134 for a year and then decided i wanted to lose 5 lbs or so but I was just so used to my cal range that I really struggled, I actually didn't manage it! I then switched up my workouts and swapped to body weight based weight training and I found I lost a bit, but saw changes in my body that stopped me caring about those lbs as I loved the muscle instead! I now weigh 125-128 and am happy!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same exact situation as you! I was actually just chatting with @WinoGelato about this. It's hard for me to buckle down with the deficit because I already bank calories for the weekend and now I can't really use up all those calories if I wanna lose my last 3 lbs. I'm sticking to 1400-1500 days during the week and aiming for 2000 on the weekends (Friday maybe around 1600-1700) so I try to average around 1600-1650 for the week. I know I need to just keep in mind that if I stay under 1850, even if it's just 100 cals I'll drop eventually but it's a slow slow process and have to stay patient. I also keep reminding myself that this is pretty much how I have to eat for life and maintenance is just 300 or so more calories. I just need to push through those -300 right now!
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! There's some really good advice here.

I'm going to see how the 1450 goes for this week and if it feels maintainable. I could definitely just eat at a smaller deficit and lose weight much more slowly. I'm in no hurry to lose it.

I also could try to increase my activity level again. It's been so hard with the bitter Minnesota cold, plus I've been sick like 3 times since December, and it's just dark and miserable so the motivation isn't there. I also lost my garmin activity tracker which was a bummer. Before I was actively trying to reach 10k steps so I know that was some added motivation.

I'm doing well with today though! I prelogged most of my day and hopefully can get my workout in during my toddlers naptime!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was where you were last summer. I'd gotten to 122 and was on maintenance of 1350. It went well but started to creep up as it seemed "too little". At 127 I told myself time to log again- and didn't. I'm back up at 137, but on my way down from 145. I probably ate all of my favorite foods that exist on the planet. Don't let it slip the way I did. Real PIA!!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2.5" also and 126 lbs, I eat 1290 cals a day and I can't even imagine eating 1450 everyday, that is so much food to me!!

Maybe re evaluate the types of foods you are eating, or try strength training as this is known to burn calories even the next day.

If you really want it you will make a change in your regimen, if you don't really want it you won't.

Someone kind of touched on it, but for me having a goal is far more motivating than just "I want to lose 5 pounds" because it's tough to change something that in our minds is optional (i.e. You and I are both at healthy bmi levels so we don't HAVE to change, we WANT TO which changes the whole dynamic in my opinion). Find a specific achievable goal to work towards, like a race, pull ups, meeting your recommended steps, completing insanity etc.

Good luck! If you want a accountability twin I am happy to help :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2.5" also and 126 lbs, I eat 1290 cals a day and I can't even imagine eating 1450 everyday, that is so much food to me!!

Maybe re evaluate the types of foods you are eating, or try strength training as this is known to burn calories even the next day.

If you really want it you will make a change in your regimen, if you don't really want it you won't.

Someone kind of touched on it, but for me having a goal is far more motivating than just "I want to lose 5 pounds" because it's tough to change something that in our minds is optional (i.e. You and I are both at healthy bmi levels so we don't HAVE to change, we WANT TO which changes the whole dynamic in my opinion). Find a specific achievable goal to work towards, like a race, pull ups, meeting your recommended steps, completing insanity etc.

Why are you eating such low calories for already at a healthy weight? And can't imagine eating 1450? What are your goals as far as weight loss goes and what is your rate of loss set at to get that 1290? That is your NET goal, are you eating back your exercise calories?

I'm same height, and lost most of my weight eating b/w 1600-1800 cals. If you are exercising regularly, I would imagine you could be doing the same.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 10 but hardly care enough either. I'm like right on the brink of overweight bmi and i know i could be better hell i was 10 pounds lighter prior to thanksgiving. It's just 1 pound a week is too much and .5 seems like molasses pace when i thought I was done with this crap. I think I'm gonna try to lose 5 and see how my pants fit and call it quits.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Why are you eating such low calories for already at a healthy weight? And can't imagine eating 1450? What are your goals as far as weight loss goes and what is your rate of loss set at to get that 1290? That is your NET goal, are you eating back your exercise calories?

I'm same height, and lost most of my weight eating b/w 1600-1800 cals. If you are exercising regularly, I would imagine you could be doing the same.

I am in weight loss/recomp, I eat what fills me up and I have used the proper calculations to find my numbers. My maintenance is at 1300 something (I don't remember the exact number) so in order to lose (because I am only losing a few pounds if any at all it's much harder to lose). I actually don't mind or keep myself from going over my calories if I want them, but I rarely do unless I go out to eat.

I eat "clean" so I only eat fruits veggies lean meat and healthy fats I have always eaten this way except when I eat out with friends/family.

Due to my height and age I would still be at a healthy bmi even at 105 so I am in no way eating too little or losing too much. I am just trying to lower my body fat percentage and gain muscle.

And also I do excersize in addition to eating back all my exercise calories, I don't want to eat more I was saying that 1450 sounds like a lot because I literally couldn't eat that much without feeling sick.

Edit: To answer your questions I started at 132 and don't have a specific goal weight only looking to gain muscle and lose fat. I was my healthiest feeling/looking at 115 due to my body shape, but hopefully I can gain enough muscle to stay in the twenties!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    I want to lose 10 but hardly care enough either. I'm like right on the brink of overweight bmi and i know i could be better hell i was 10 pounds lighter prior to thanksgiving. It's just 1 pound a week is too much and .5 seems like molasses pace when i thought I was done with this crap. I think I'm gonna try to lose 5 and see how my pants fit and call it quits.

These days a molasses pace is fine with me as long as I'm headed in the right direction. I've maintained for 6 months and am hunkered in now the lose the last 10. I literally don't care if it takes a year or two. How's that for slow? .001 pounds a week :D
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I was where you were last summer. I'd gotten to 122 and was on maintenance of 1350. It went well but started to creep up as it seemed "too little". At 127 I told myself time to log again- and didn't. I'm back up at 137, but on my way down from 145. I probably ate all of my favorite foods that exist on the planet. Don't let it slip the way I did. Real PIA!!

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to tackle it now. I had a friend sort of give me a hard time about it, implying that I was thin enough so why was I worrying about it. It's not like I think I'm fat, it's just that I can see the scale trending upward and I don't want it to continue.

I do strength train already, although no specific strength training program. I have adjustable weights I use at home. I agree about having a goal. I updated MFP to include my current weight and then gave myself a goal of 120 lbs. I think I'll also make a specific fitness goal as well. I'd love an accountability twin! :)
    I don't want to eat more I was saying that 1450 sounds like a lot because I literally couldn't eat that much without feeling sick.

This is not a problem for me. ;) I could easily eat twice that many calories and feel perfectly fine, lol.

That being said, I stuck to 1450 closely today and I think it went fine. Now that I made it through the day with my new calorie goal, I am feeling more motivated and confident.