eating clean at a Japanese buffet restaurant

Options
alpha_andy
alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
I am at one of these giant Japanese buffet restaurants. Any ideas on how to eat as clean as possible?

Replies

• MachineSearch
    Options
    Maybe brown rice sushi.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    not to kill your love of those kind of places... but when i was taking micro, we went to a local popular asian food buffet place and dropped like 200 bucks on food. We took it all back to the lab for analysis...

lets just say the whole classroom never again ate at those kinds of places.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat off a plate not off the floor?
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    not to kill your love of those kind of places... but when i was taking micro, we went to a local popular asian food buffet place and dropped like 200 bucks on food. We took it all back to the lab for analysis...

Why? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    by clean i dunno, its all pretty much up to code if they're serving it.

get the sashimi or any sushi that doesnt have mayo or deep fried stuff in it.

I personally say go for it, and mind your portions. otherwise you'll wind up letting your "clean" choices ruin your good time at the restaurant.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    stay away from tempura anything.
  • CookNLift
    Options

did you know that when you flush the toilet the water spray and germs can shoot up to 50 feet and hit your toothbrush? doesn't stop you from brushing your teeth does it
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I've gotten sick from sushi places before but only when I was stupid. The wasabi and ginger is there for a reason. The place I go to has really high food turnover rate too.
  • totalsham
    Options

did you know that when you flush the toilet the water spray and germs can shoot up to 50 feet and hit your toothbrush? doesn't stop you from brushing your teeth does it

i dont have my toothbrush hanging over my toilet.... and if i do, its normally 51 feet up
  • totalsham
    Options

we found bacteria in the food that could only come from human waste.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Nothing new.
  • totalsham
    Options

Nothing new.

nothing i want in me.... i guess ignorance is definitely bliss when it comes to eating out!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options

Nothing new.

nothing i want in me.... i guess ignorance is definitely bliss when it comes to eating out!

Just curious, but did you do similar tests on the stuff in your own kitchens?? I contend that most people's kitchens are far grosser than the average restaurant.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

i dont have my toothbrush hanging over my toilet.... and if i do, its normally 51 feet up

MythBusters tested this one.

Every toothbrush in the experiment, including the "controls" that were not even in a room with a toilet, had fecal matter on it (ie, the bacteria normally found just in human waste). So, it's not even the toilet that's causing it (although I don't recall if there was a correlation between proximity to toilet and amount of bacteria).

Every toothbrush we use ends up growing bacteria, pretty much. AFter all, we're scraping bits of food out of our mouth, which can then decay or get bacteria (from our mouth) breaking it down. About the same mechanism as fecal matter.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    So, thinking of the one I frequent, there's plenty of fresh shrimp, mussels in black bean sauce, some sort of baked fish, Mongolian green beans, various mystery meat on a stick, and sushi and sashimi. If you're trying to cut out white rice then stay away from the sushi of course. Sashimi is ok as you can pick the fish off of it. The dessert bar usually is packed with fresh fruit. Anything they bake or cook is usually loaded with sodium it seems (can you say msg?). I decided a few weeks ago that until I hit my weight loss goal I can't eat there again. I usually do 3 plates, including a few dessert items like fresh grapes, a jello square or two, coconut macaroon, mini napoleon.... 'nuff said. I love this food but it's not worth it to me to pay that much and eat so little.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options

Doesn't really matter where you keep your toothbrush, there's poo everywhere.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.htm
  • totalsham
    Options

Nothing new.

Just curious, but did you do similar tests on the stuff in your own kitchens?? I contend that most people's kitchens are far grosser than the average restaurant.

we did!!!

leftovers and new meals. bread... etc etc. nothing close to being as bad like the buffet

even swabbed my dogs mouths.
  • CookNLift
    Options

Doesn't really matter where you keep your toothbrush, there's poo everywhere.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.htm

exactly why eating sushi shouldn't bother you :) lol
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I could *never* give up Japanese or sushi.

Ever.

As far as "clean" though...don't focus on clean. Food is food. Stop demonizing it and just eat it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Did you run similar tests at every other sort of restaurant there is? Otherwise. . . .