Counting calories

Something that has been preventing me from losing is when scanning barcodes you have to look at how many servings for each container. Its not always one. I was shocked when I actually started reading what I was eating. Just a helpful thing that I have learned on this journey.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Yep...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yep...

Did you actually kind of understand that?
    Im not really sure i was reading it correctly, are they talking about eating a whole container of something and realizing that the container was actually multiple servings?

Yes.

Though I admit I made that mistake once with one of those muscle brownies. Whoops.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yep...

Did you actually kind of understand that?
    Im not really sure i was reading it correctly, are they talking about eating a whole container of something and realizing that the container was actually multiple servings?

Here's one example: There is a particular frozen microwave lasagne meal I used to buy. Not sure if it's still around, but the box proudly proclaimed "Only 300 calories per serving!". The box was probably about 6"x8" and contained a tray with a single piece of lasagne and not a huge one. If you checked the label at the back, it showed that the tray was two servings. Now, if you are bringing that to work to pop in the microwave for lunch, most people are not going to thaw it out enough to cut in half and just take one serving. If they're going to heat the whole thing, it's possible that someone might either share it or wrap up half to take home/leave it in the fridge overnight. But it's not likely.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Yep. Those little cups of soup that people take to work are actually 2 (tiny) servings. I recently ate a protein cookie - thought it was pretty okay. Next time I went to eat it I realized it was actually 2 servings so the ONE cookie was actually like 600 calories!
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    I have to admit that whenever I see the posts in this forum saying something like "help, I'm eating 1200 calories a day but not losing any weight" I wonder how often it's because people are not calculating things properly, and are confusing recommending serving sizes with whole packets etc. One needs to have decent basic math skills to do calorie counting properly.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    In the uk its mandatory to show calories per 100g. I always weigh the item and then use the cal per gram entry on the database. I find it totally odd for a manufacturer to dictate my serving size lol!