Ab exercises for someone with zero abs

Options
Any suggestions for exercises for someone with no abs?!

Replies

• slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Assuming you are looking to get them-eat less.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Everyone has abs sometimes under a layer of fat. Get into a structured lifting program. Rinse and repeat!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    None as in none? Lie on your back and do straight leg lifts focus on keeping the torso still. Stand tall and march, slowly, lifting you knee as high as you can towards you chest.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Basically you have no VISIBLE abdominal muscles. And that's more a case of not low enough body fat percentage. You get that with a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you literally have no abs then literally any exercise will help you to work towards them. Weightlifting is great for building all around good muscles. If you are saying you just can't see them then cut back on the calories and keep lifting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - do you mean you have poor ab strength or no visible ab muscles?

Two very different things!

If it's strength related then using a gym ball is a gentle and supportive way to get started.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Losing fat will help. Planks and hovers are also great core strengthening exercises. Lifting weights also activates core. I am fitness instructor so have a lot of experience with this. Best of luck and focus mostly on calorie deficit.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not zero ab muscles....just working in getting fit and as a bigger person I find it hard to find exercises that I can do well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Not zero ab muscles....just working in getting fit and as a bigger person I find it hard to find exercises that I can do well.

if you could do all exercises really well, there would be no need for them... the point of a work out is to challenge you, or its just an easy out!
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of really unhelpful posts here! My advise to get stronger abs is to do some pilates. I have found that it really increases my core strength and quickly. I have a couple pilates videos I do 4-5 times a week that I enjoy and that I can see results from, or you could always hit a class. As you can see, I don't have visible abs either but they will be there once I dig them out- and I feel stronger which is the important thing if you ask me. Some of the pilates moves are hard for me to do because I'm larger - but I do my best or substitute the few moves I can't do at all with moves that I can do. Hope that is helpful!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Planks were my instrument of torture when I was where you are now.

You can start them easy (modified with knees on the ground) and then as you manage to hold longer and longer you can slowly up the difficulty. I've worked my way up to dynamic planks where before I could barely hold 10seconds on a static, modified plank with knees on the ground.

What ever you chose to do, start it slow and easy and work your way up to more complex forms.

Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    landmines/pivot presses
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have great abs (hiding under a layer of fluff :/ ) and I got them by weight lifting--specifically compound lifts. I don't do a ton of isolated ab work.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've made some definite improvements with planking. I do about 10 minutes a day, five days a week now and I incorporate side planks, regular planks, and ab exercises all while holding those positions. It's turned my abs, over the last several months, into a brick house. Granted, you can barely see them because I have about a half inch of fat left in the midsection. It's the only place I have it left lol, but it's there to annoy me I think. I'll have to cut the weight probably another 10 lbs or so to finish getting rid of it. I'll get around to that this summer but still on a slight bulk at the moment so the fat isn't going anywhere lol.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to start building some core strength, I second the suggestion of 'planking'.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I have great abs (hiding under a layer of fluff :/ ) and I got them by weight lifting--specifically compound lifts. I don't do a ton of isolated ab work.

Me^^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - do you mean you have poor ab strength or no visible ab muscles?

Two very different things!

If it's strength related then using a gym ball is a gentle and supportive way to get started.

Assuming OP ever comes back... this was my question/thought as well.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    The OP did come back.

If you're too large for much, then walk. Walk tall, focus on contracting your core. Cycle. Cycling for me targets my lower abs a bit.

As you lose weight you'll be able to do more. I've lost 28 lbs and only now can sort of do pilates moves. Its hard when its awkward just to get down then up from the floor.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'd follow any good, full-body strength program, like NROL, Nerd Fitness, etc. I wouldn't just work abs, nor piece together your own routine, since it will probably end up imbalanced. :+1: