Scanned food items

Options
Hi everybody, I am coming back to this site and its new version. I would like to know if it is possible to keep the food nutrition value of the food we scan and put it in "My Food", for easy access.
If it can be done can someone tell me how?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You could scan it and save it as a meal from your diary, worth noting though that even when scanning it's not always the correct information.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The barcode scanning feature is a search of the public Food Database. There is no feature in MFP to place an item from the public Food Database into any other place but your Food Diary (or as an ingredient in a Recipe using the Recipe Builder). Once you have added an item to one of the meal slots in your Food Diary, it will normally be found on the Recent list query of your Food Diary, so you can find it there and do not need to scan that barcode again.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have not tried this, but what if you scan it into a category, then go back and delete it. Does it stay in the recent foods?

Half the time I find it easier to just scan again so I don't have to search through my lists.
  • CyberTone
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Have not tried this, but what if you scan it into a category, then go back and delete it. Does it stay in the recent foods?

Half the time I find it easier to just scan again so I don't have to search through my lists.

By category, do you mean a meal slot in the Food Diary? If so, once you add a food item to a meal slot in your Food Diary, it will display in the Recent list for that meal slot, because the Recent list is a database query of your Food Diary for that meal slot; or if you select the option to show results from the full Diary, it may be displayed in the results of the Recent list query because it may have been pulled from another meal slot.

If you delete all instances of that particular food item from that meal slot, it will not show up in the Recent list query of that meal slot. If it exits in another meal slot, and you have your Recent list option selected to show results from all meal slots, it may show up in the Recent list query - the web version only shows a maximum of 100 items, so a Results list query of all meal slots usually only show about 20 or so of the most recent items from each of the meal slots.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited February 2017
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    There is no feature in MFP to place an item from the public Food Database into any other place but your Food Diary (or as an ingredient in a Recipe using the Recipe Builder)

Once the item has been scanned to an empty breakfast/lunch/dinner section in the diary you can simply tap create meal even if it has only 1 item. It would then appear in My Meals and be available to add to any section.

• CyberTone
    edited February 2017
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    There is no feature in MFP to place an item from the public Food Database into any other place but your Food Diary (or as an ingredient in a Recipe using the Recipe Builder)

Once the item has been scanned to an empty breakfast/lunch/dinner section in the diary you can simply tap create meal even if it has only 1 item. It would then appear in My Meals and be available to add to any section.

Correct. The first step though, is adding the item to a meal slot in your Food Diary, then remembering it as a single item meal; which means you have to click quick tools, name the meal, then save it. To me, that is three extra steps that are not worth the trouble, since the food item will usually be in the Recent list query.

If I don't want to use the item right away, I usually will log it as a very tiny quantity, such as 0.0001 or 0.001 of the smallest serving size so that it shows in the Food Diary, but has 0 Cals and nutrients. Then it will display in my Recent list, and when I do log it, I log the quantity I am eating at that time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    however then it's only in the recent items for that section. Adding it to meals you can quick add to any section if it's something you use regularly at different meals.
  • CyberTone
    Options
    however then it's only in the recent items for that section. Adding it to meals you can quick add to any section if it's something you use regularly at different meals.

Or you can toggle the option to show Recent list from a single Meal to All Meals; that is much quicker for me.
  • manoush188
    manoush188 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all..that gives me a lot of options to try!
  • annstebbing
    annstebbing Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Old Post but really useful information. Thanks.