Isn't he overreacting?

Options

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    He DOES seem a bit unstable. And pushy for someone just recently let back into your life. I have a friend who promises one thing then gets "distracted" with work and gaming. It's irritating but we aren't a couple so I have no hold over him. On the flip side I do this a lot to another guy friend of mine who thinks he can force me to be more social like him. He gets frustrated with me but knows better than to act like I belong to him. All 3 of us are best friends and we respect the fact that we each lead our own lives outside of one another. This dude needs to back off and clue in that you are an adult with a job and hobbies that don't include him. If you set an exact time to hang then it would be rude to break it . Then he would have a valid reason to be pissed at you. But just saying you two should hang sometime with no actual plan in place means that the time is of your choosing and still up in the air.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It seems like he expected something very different than you from this interaction and you aren't really friends.
    I'd let things die with the hang up and not respond further to calls or texts from him.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    My English isn't good enough to keep up with what I just read... All I got was that your name is Kara
  • trytpbme1
    trytpbme1 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    My English isn't good enough to keep up with what I just read... All I got was that your name is Kara

Thanks for reading anyways !
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    It seems like he expected something very different than you from this interaction and you aren't really friends.
    I'd let things die with the hang up and not respond further to calls or texts from him.

What do you mean expected something different
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    PowerMan40 wrote: »
    Runn..... run... little girl there are better more mature men out there for you. Drama wants drama, and makes drama

Lol
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    While relationships have changed he seems a little unstable to me, so I would recommend walking away from this one.

You know what never fails to amaze me (outside of this situation) is how people say they want one thing and then when it hits them in the face they back away.

Case in Point: I am single. I am doing online dating right now as a way to hopefully meet more people and perhaps even the right one for me. Anyways, I 'ran' into a guy that I used to work with on the online website and we were chatting away, very friendly. And he says the typical things: I want a smart, successful woman who can handle herself and has a lot going on for her. Essentially someone like you (his words, not mine). Anyways, he gets around to asking if I want to have coffee/dinner and I said sure. He asked when I'm free and it happened to be about a week after we were chatting. He responds by saying "Geez, you're so busy! Can't make time for me until then?" . . . but 5 minutes ago, he wants someone who has their life together and things going on in their life . . . so you want that, but then someone who will drop all of it for someone they don't even really know on a personal level??? Then we agreed to that day and he didn't text me until the day after that scheduled date. I texted him on the Thursday to see if we were still on for meeting up and where he wanted to meet him. SILENCE!

I was kind of blown away because he texted me saying "I guess you aren't that interested since you didn't want to meet up yesterday". And I am thinking wait, I texted you to confirm this and nothing came back so what am I supposed to do? So I responded as much and he responded with something like "I don't chase anyone, so if you want to see me then you have to let me know".

Has it really come to this? Seriously? If I see something (or someone I want) I will make sure I do what I can to show I am interested. But him? No. However if you want someone who is successful and smart and yada yada she probably has things happening in her life: so if you want her, let her know too.
    Reaverie wrote: »
    He DOES seem a bit unstable. And pushy for someone just recently let back into your life. I have a friend who promises one thing then gets "distracted" with work and gaming. It's irritating but we aren't a couple so I have no hold over him. On the flip side I do this a lot to another guy friend of mine who thinks he can force me to be more social like him. He gets frustrated with me but knows better than to act like I belong to him. All 3 of us are best friends and we respect the fact that we each lead our own lives outside of one another. This dude needs to back off and clue in that you are an adult with a job and hobbies that don't include him. If you set an exact time to hang then it would be rude to break it . Then he would have a valid reason to be pissed at you. But just saying you two should hang sometime with no actual plan in place means that the time is of your choosing and still up in the air.

Thank you guys so much for answering
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    trytpbme1 wrote: »

He probably expected that you inviting him over to hang out that day meant more than just a lukewarm "if I remember... it would be okay to see you... I guess."
    You didn't think it was important to see him. You still don't. It was more important to him. .
    I don't know if he is just pissed because a friend blew off plans and acted like it didn't matter or he wanted sex and thought that was going to happen with you. You have different expectations or understanding of what you want to happen or how you should be acting.
    Doesn't really matter what he thinks. You haven't seen him for years and barely communicated in that time by choice. Don't worry about this unimportant non-relationship. Don't respond to his calls or texts again.
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    trytpbme1 wrote: »

He probably expected that you inviting him over to hang out that day meant more than just a lukewarm "if I remember... it would be okay to see you... I guess."
    You didn't think it was important to see him. You still don't. It was more important to him. .
    I don't know if he is just pissed because a friend blew off plans and acted like it didn't matter or he wanted sex and thought that was going to happen with you. You have different expectations or understanding of what you want to happen or how you should be acting.
    Doesn't really matter what he thinks. You haven't seen him for years and barely communicated in that time by choice. Don't worry about this unimportant non-relationship. Don't respond to his calls or texts again.

Ahh okay
  • dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Stay away
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    This guy has been your friend for many years, and it's not a dating relationship, so advice to run away seems inappropriate. Friends aren't always rational and I read hurt feelings. Maybe he's got some other stuff going on in his life, which is why he reached out to an old friend?

Old friendships do require a bit of nurturing to remain alive. If you want to keep the friendship, put some effort into it.
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    This guy has been your friend for many years, and it's not a dating relationship, so advice to run away seems inappropriate. Friends aren't always rational and I read hurt feelings. Maybe he's got some other stuff going on in his life, which is why he reached out to an old friend?

Old friendships do require a bit of nurturing to remain alive. If you want to keep the friendship, put some effort into it.

I reached out to see him that's why I don't understand where his attitude was from
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Ignore him & see if he straightens up ...But that's childish *kitten* I'm hearing ..Unless he's ur child who has time 4 that nonsense
  • trytpbme1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kwph wrote: »
    Ignore him & see if he straightens up ...But that's childish *kitten* I'm hearing ..Unless he's ur child who has time 4 that nonsense

He's definitely not my child lol
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Then ya just answered ur own question
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    sounds to me like you are the one that keeps the conversation going or alive.....you can end communication etc nowadays.

What do u mean
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    It means we need to hear his side of the story.... Because there is some common sense resolutions to this. The way you put everything makes him sound like a psycho yet it seems like you're kind of digging it and holding on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you heard from him since?
  • trytpbme1
    Options
    It means we need to hear his side of the story.... Because there is some common sense resolutions to this. The way you put everything makes him sound like a psycho yet it seems like you're kind of digging it and holding on.

Digging what? Hmm I don't understand what you mean
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    it means that the way you put everything to us from your side of the story, its obvious he is overreacting, so you shouldn't even have to pose the question in a public forum like this. However you do post it here either for attention in itself or there is another side of the story (his side) which can fill in why your so confused about this situation. Possibly that you were leading him on or that you like the attention he is giving you.