FitBit Accuracy

Options
trigden1991
trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Thought I would post a quick summary of my 6 week "study" to evaluate the accuracy of the TDEE figure given by my FitBit Charge:

Total Fitbit Expenditure: 158484 cals
Total Calories Consumed (MFP): 124539 cals

Calorie Deficit: 33945 cals

Assuming 3500cals = 1lb fat lost and no LBM loss:

Calculated Fat loss: 33945/3500 = 9.7lbs

Actual weight loss: 11.3lbs

In the first week I dropped 4lbs so assuming 1.5-2lbs of water weight as I was fully carbed up with full glycogen stores, the Fitbit is relatively accurate.

Nothing scientific and an N=1 study but I see a lot of queries regarding FitBit TDEE values.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    And?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes, that seems quite accurate. Do you have any advice for how to set the wretched thing up correctly? I see a lot of people struggling with them giving inaccurate numbers.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    And?

It is what it is; nothing more, nothing less. Just my ramblings and *kitten* packet maths to support the TDEE figures.
    Yes, that seems quite accurate. Do you have any advice for how to set the wretched thing up correctly? I see a lot of people struggling with them giving inaccurate numbers.

I paired it with MFP which has all my stats in and I haven't had to play with any settings at all.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Do you log any exercise using MFP or the Fitbit dashboard? (strength training, etc.)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love posts like this. Thanks for sharing. Then again, I'm a data geek.

I did a similar experiment on myself and found my Fitbit to be fairly accurate as well. I use it to gauge my TDEE.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Interesting.

Do you log any exercise using MFP or the Fitbit dashboard? (strength training, etc.)

I do not. However my workouts do tend to rack up a number of "steps" (3-4k normally) which at first was an annoyance but 3-4k steps is approximately 250-300 calories for me which reflects an hour of intense weightlifting.
  • Francl27
    Options
    And?

It is what it is; nothing more, nothing less. Just my ramblings and *kitten* packet maths to support the TDEE figures.

I paired it with MFP which has all my stats in and I haven't had to play with any settings at all.

Ok, my comment was before you edited and I was wondering how much you actually lost.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've just been using my blaze and not logging any activity, just using the numbers provided and it's been working out well for me. Nothing is going to be 100% accurate, but my fitbit is doing what I need it to do and I'm happy with it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

I do not. However my workouts do tend to rack up a number of "steps" (3-4k normally) which at first was an annoyance but 3-4k steps is approximately 250-300 calories for me which reflects an hour of intense weightlifting.

How do you get so many steps while lifting?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I get a lot of steps while lifting. I walk around during rests between sets. I don't log lifting, I just let my Fitbit track those steps. It's funny, when I lift, my activity log on my Fitbit dashboard usually shows a "Walk" logged for the time I've been lifting. (I have a Charge2 that has an auto-recognize feature for some exercises.)
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Interesting.

How do you get so many steps while lifting?

Moving my arms counts as steps I assume.
    And?

Ok, my comment was before you edited and I was wondering how much you actually lost.

Apologies, didn't realise anyone was that quick off the mark!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you're getting so many extra steps for moving your arms, you might consider switching your settings to having your device on your dominant hand, especially if it's giving you a burn for that movement.

I get some arm movement "steps" but not many, and those usually don't give me many calories.

Then again, since you aren't logging weight lifting and the device is working out for you? Since it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just wanted to put this out there for lurkers.
  • Francl27
    Options
    If you're getting so many extra steps for moving your arms, you might consider switching your settings to having your device on your dominant hand, especially if it's giving you a burn for that movement.

I get some arm movement "steps" but not many, and those usually don't give me many calories.

Then again, since you aren't logging weight lifting and the device is working out for you? Since it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just want to point out though that the dominant hand thing is a bit of a pain for people like me who use both hands for different things. I end up taking my Fitbit off if I have to grate cheese...
  • trigden1991
    Options

Good addition for anyone reading!

For me; I rack up extra steps but I don't track workouts on MFP which seem to average out nicely.

Back working calories consumed/lbs lost gives my real average TDEE within 5% of the FitBit readings so I'm happy with how its working.